grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Another site for you to look at is for Plant hardiness zones:

[url]https://eramsay.com/eramsay/moremaps.htm[/url]

This site shows the zones of the whole world, but each country does not necessarily follow the same scale so you need to be careful when comparing a plant rated from North America to Australia. :wink:

Val

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

An international rating does seem in order, doesn't it?

HG

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

That would be nice. There seems to be a different rating for each continent, if not more! :roll:
Val

TheBigEasy

I looked at that link to find my zone, but it seems to broad and I can't really pinpoint mine from that. I click my state, but none of my nearby cities are listed there.

Anyone have any idea which zone Portland Oregon is in? Or a way to find out?

Thanks!

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

You are in Zone 8. The site I use for US Hardiness Zones is www.thegardenhelper.com/ushzmap.html

Hope that one's a little bit better for you. None of them get right down and dirty, and tell you right to your own town. :roll: Too bad.

Val

TheBigEasy

Hmmmmm....Thank you, but that went to the same information. I certainly appreciate the information about being in Zone 8 though!

Thanks!

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

No problem! That's why we're here!
None of the Hardiness Zone maps are very specific it seems. Although, Canada has a fairly recent one out that is pretty good. Much better than the past. I haven't found one like it for the states yet. :wink:

Val

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

For Canada anyway, Mcfayden Seeds sends out a great hardiness zone map in their seed catalogue.

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Yes, McFayden's Zone map is pretty good - it's actually the latest version done in 2000 in Canada. The one I like to use is based on exactly the same map as McFayden's, except it lets you zoom right in on your exact community or area. It's actually very useful. The address for the map is: https://sis.agr.gc.ca/cansis/nsdb/climate/hardiness/index.html
How's that for a handle? Any way, it would be great if I could find one for the states that was the same. It would be alot more useful. :wink:

Val

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Wow, great site Val! I finally know what zone I'm in. My large veg garden is in zone 8b and I appear to be in 7a.

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

I know, it is so accurate, it's amazing! Before, on the old map, I was just lumped in as Zone 3, because it wasn't as detailed, but now I actually know that I am Zone 4a-b, which when you're looking for plants, makes a big difference in what you can choose!
I wish they had the same thing for all the countries. It sure would be easier. 8)

Val

TheBigEasy

Here's one that looks like some good information for zones in the U.S. Still not as accurate as it should be, but a bit more. You can at least narrow it down by state, and the map is a little bit clearer where you can see the divisions a bit easier.

https://www.homestore.com/HomeGarden/gardening/landscaping/zones/default.asp?poe=homestore

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Thanks Val for posting that Hardiness Zone Map of Canada up and Thanks Big Easy for the U.S. map.

Maybe I should split this thread into a hardiness zone thread. What do you think Val?

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Probably not a bad idea. I'll leave it in your capable hands! :wink:

Val

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

DONE!

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Thanks Opa! :wink:

Val

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

No worries Val, happy to do it. This makes the topc that much more searchable. Though, I'm thinking that the topic probably would be better represented in the General Topics Forum but, I'll leave it be for now.

Return to “Permaculture Forum”