flyboy
Newly Registered

Pruning Mullberry tree

Hi All !

I live near an adandonded quarry that has dozens of 20ft mullberry trees. The place is overgrown with many other trees. Some mullberry trees fruit,most don't. There is one I want to prune because of easy access and it is 20ft high but only 6 berries at the very top..

I want to cut back from around the trees,the other trees stopping full light getting to the mature trees. They are terribly overgrown.

However,I think they need a prune. Here on this site,it says the following in the next paragraph.Since I know nothing of terminology and this is the only interest in trees that I have,I'm hoping that someone can explain what it means so I can prune these properly as they are beautiful trees,BUT TERRIBLY OVERGROWN trying to get light...I think:

"Pruning: No special pruning techniques are needed after the branches have been trained to a sturdy framework, except to remove dead or overcrowded wood. A mulberry tree can be kept to a tidy form by developing a set of main branches, and then pruning laterals to 6 leaves in July in order to develop spurs near the main branches."

Ive called some people where I live,but they say take a chainsaw to the tree..BUTCHERS ! the above is saying something very differant.

I might need a pictorial if its possible.

Thanks for any feedback ! :D
Kevin

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

sounds like if you cut most the other stuff out first (and then take us some pictures!), it'd be a good first step. the pruning sounds like the pruning techniques I see used around here, mostly on maples...mulberries are pretty tough, weedy trees, and apparently can take being coppiced. making a 'sturdy framework' out of overgrown trees will take some serious butchering, it's true, but if you do it at the right time, they'll be fine. chainsaws aren't just for cutting things all the way down.:P

flyboy
Newly Registered

!potatoes,I'll post pics when I get down there next !

Return to “All Other Fruit”