blryan1973
Newly Registered

My Bonsai can't DIE

I recieved this bonsai in August and had it in the same place the whole time with the same pruning and watering routine and it just started to die. The leaves started turning brown and then some of the branches started to turn brown and soft. I've moved this to be directly in the window but I don't have any new growth and some of the branches are still drying and shriveling up. It even seems that some of the some of the "stems" in the dirt are turning too. This tree is 16 years old and was very expensive I can't lose it.

Someone please help me. Also I'd like to have someone actually look at it in person so if anyone knows of anyone who can help me and they live in Champaign, IL let me know.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Send images...

blryan1973
Newly Registered

Its a Hawaiian Umbrella.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Sounds like overwatering most likely...back off the H2O for a week and see if there is any improvement. I keep mine a touch dry...better to err to that side than the other (it WILL let you know if it is dry...)

HG

blryan1973
Newly Registered

Here are some photos.

One picture is of the whole tree and as you can see it's become pretty bare. When I first got it the whole things full and green. The next two pictures I tried to isolate the two best examples of problematic branches.

[url]https://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/blryan1973/album?.dir=/ba61[/url]

blryan1973
Newly Registered

https://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/blryan1973/album?.dir=/ba61

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Looks like a nice tree, though I would give it a strong pruning. Though, not knowking the particulars of the species, I won't try to give you any advice on when to prune it.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Let's cut some of that dead wood out now, steriliziing with alcohol between cuts. Those roots are turned in on the trunk up high, might be stranglinng itself too...Try to stabilize it between now and spring and repot in a better soil; pot may be smallish and you might want to try a more humic soil mix at repotting...read the article at the bonsai page for repotting...

HG

blryan1973
Newly Registered

Are you saying I should cut the branches that aren't green and producing any leaves? What will that do for me?

This 16 years old Hawaiian Umbrella was full of life and leaves when I first got it. Then I was only water 2 to 3 times a week and it had moderate light. Now I'm just down to 3 or 4 that are producing but I don't see any new growth what so ever.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

That will open up your tree and make it look much nicer. Also, it will give room for the green foliage to grow in.

At present your tree is beyond forming any sort of style. Though, by pruning the deadwood away, you'll be moving towards conforming a style for your tree.

blryan1973
Newly Registered

So basically something has ruined the full tree that I had in August and if I'm lucky I will be able to save the last 2 or three branches? I'm noticing now that some of the branches are not turning brown but they do feel soft. Is this tree doomed?

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I doubt it. Just nurse it along and perhaps give it some liquid seaweed fertilizer diluted as per the instructions on the bottle. Though, if you keep your tree outside, it will be dormant now so, in that case I would wait until spring to fertilize the tree.

Plants can be surprisingly resilient. Give them time, and they will do wonders.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Cutting off necrotic (dead and rotting) tissue ceases the stress on the tree and promotes both healing and latent (sleeping) buds...

HG

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”