Devin Heinle

Norway Maple & Cutleaf Weeping Silver Birch Sowing

I currently have some norway maple and cutleaf weeping silver birch seeds in a dry container in the fridge. I am currently wondering how to sow these two type of seeds in doors at the moment, because its already in the 30's right now? Help?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Devin,

Why do you want to sow them at this time of year? The Maple requires a period of cold storage known as stratification in order to break dormancy. Store them barely damp and cold over the winter and plant in spring. Check them periodically to ensure they are not germinating or becoming moldy.

I have no specific knowledge of the Birch.

Norm

Devin Heinle

Gnome wrote:Devin,

Why do you want to sow them at this time of year?

Norm
I plan on getting them set up so I can have some in containers out side for next spring. trying to make some money n learn some skills.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The Norway (like other maples) does require a period of cold dormancy in order to germinate. I think you could "plant" it in barely damp dirt and keep it in your refrigerator and it should sprout in three months. Then you can take it out.

But it is an invasive exotic which is aggressive in taking over landscapes. Here's an article you should read, before you ever plant one outdoors:

https://www.earthworksboston.org/articles/UWnorway.htm

Are you thinking of these as bonsai or regular trees?

Devin Heinle

rainbowgardener wrote:
Are you thinking of these as bonsai or regular trees?
ive been thinking about trying to. I got way enough seeds to. recently ive been looking up the materials needed for making bonsai's
Last edited by Devin Heinle on Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

applestar
Mod

Rainbowgardener, thanks for posting that link. I was able to pretty definitely ID a maple sapling as Red Maple and a desired species. I was afraid that it may be Norway Maple, or possibly Silver Maple. I guess it stays. :wink: I also have several other volunteers that I'm going to add to my line-up for possible bonsai subject.

Devin Heinle, good luck with yours. So far, my very untechnical method for intentionally growing tree seeds from local trees has been to sow them in a well-draining potting mix (I mix my own out of garden top soil, compost, some decayed tree stump chips, and sand) in 6"~8" pot, and leave them outside directly on the ground in a sheltered area under a tree (buried in a leaf pile) where it will get rained on but won't be sitting in any puddles. It's a bit of a hit-or-miss, but unless the squirrels or chipmunks dig up the seed (Sometimes they just dig up the soil to plant their OWN stash, and something completely different end up growing in the pot. Presumably, my own seed has been flung away or EATEN. :x ) most of them sprout in the spring.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”