a0c8c
Greener Thumb

Bugs in Morning Glory Seeds

I've been collecting morning glory seeds(bindweed, the nasty) since I don't want thousands of seeds falling and producing thousands of vines everywhere taking over the yard. So, I've been saving them so I can plant them where I want them, and keep them somewhat better controlled. I started putting them in a glass jar with the lid on but it wasn't long before I noticed three little tiny bugs in the jar. So I took them out, closed the lid and hoped that was it. Now, I've been finding these bugs daily, and have been noticing holes in the morning glory seeds. I even found a seed with one of the bugs in it! They're tiny little bugs, just smaller than the seeds, round, similar in color to the seeds and very annoying.

Are they eating the seeds or are they hatchign from them, can anyone help. I put them in a ziplock bag and put them in the fridge and so far that hasn't stopped the bugs. Should I switch to the freezer?

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Yes, switch to the freezer. Are you sure you are collecting seeds and not insect larvae? Anyway, label the seeds and place them in the freezer. And be really careful with morning glory, it will get away from you in a heart beat.

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

I'm pretty sure they're seeds, they sure look like it. Maybe the lighter color ones aren't seeds, but I'll throw them in the freezer for now.

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”