Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Winter Garden

Here is a list of plants to grow in winter. Some are plants that I have grown in spring but they don't grow in summer. I just learned from YouTube video winter is best time to grow these.

Russian Red Kale grows good below 0° no problem. Plant seeds in Oct..

Parsley. My plants die quick in summer. Oct is best time to plant seeds.

Leaks. I tried many times to grow Leaks in spring, Oct is the best time to plant seeds.

Arugula. Very cold hardy below 0 grows best in winter. Plant seeds in Oct.

Cilantro. I have had cilantro grow through the winter but I never planted seeds in Oct before.

Radishes. I have always planted these in March now I learn Oct is the best time to plant seeds.

Carrots. I already have 2 pots of carrots, tomorrow I plant more.

Bunching Onions. I have never planted bunching onions. I never knew Oct is the time to plant them. 250 seeds are $1.79 free postage on Ebay.

I am glad garden is almost over but I always get excited when I learn something new. I think seeds should have been planted 3 weeks ago to get good quick germination.

imafan26
Mod

Winter is the best time for me to plant temperate crops
Tomatoes, peas, cucumber, kale (perennial but tastes better in cool weather), Asian greens, cilantro, peppers, eggplant ( warm season crops germinate in 80 degree temperature but will grow through winter. In and El Nino year, the winter will be warmer and they may produce more fruit. Gobo, mizuna, jicama, faba beans, soy beans, lettuce and other greens. Soft neck garlic and onion seeds need to be planted now. Most root crop: carrots, beets, taro, and daikon can be planted now.

I grow green onions years round, I am harvesting ginger and turmeric. Turmeric will sprout after replanting, but ginger will go dormant until April. Most of my herbs grow year round. Sweet potatoes will grow but they will be slow and they will take longer to produce tubers. Bitter melon grows any time of year.

I can plant nasturtiums, hollyhocks, snap dragons now.

I plant different varieties for summer and winter, but I do grow tomatoes, cucumbers, and peppers year round.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

imafan26 wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 2:52 am
Winter is the best time for me to plant temperate crops
Tomatoes, peas, cucumber, kale (perennial but tastes better in cool weather), Asian greens, cilantro, peppers, eggplant ( warm season crops germinate in 80 degree temperature but will grow through winter. In and El Nino year, the winter will be warmer and they may produce more fruit. Gobo, mizuna, jicama, faba beans, soy beans, lettuce and other greens. Soft neck garlic and onion seeds need to be planted now. Most root crop: carrots, beets, taro, and daikon can be planted now.

I grow green onions years round, I am harvesting ginger and turmeric. Turmeric will sprout after replanting, but ginger will go dormant until April. Most of my herbs grow year round. Sweet potatoes will grow but they will be slow and they will take longer to produce tubers. Bitter melon grows any time of year.

I can plant nasturtiums, hollyhocks, snap dragons now.

I plant different varieties for summer and winter, but I do grow tomatoes, cucumbers, and peppers year round.
I had forgotten about lettuce. I wonder which lettuce grows best in my area?

Beets from the garden are very good. Beets from grocery store have a terrible flavor.

What about boc choy, pac choy, Napa, I have seeds?

Is there any type cabbage that grows in winter?

I have 1 broccoli plants & 5 cauliflower plants I wonder if cold will kill them.

I have ordered several seeds on ebay they won't be here for 3 days.

Our winter low is usually 15°f. Last winter -2° killed garlic & 85° in March destroyed onions they all bolted.

Our weather forecast is 50% rain Sun, 80% rain 30° & 2" of rain Mon. Garden is dry as desert now 2" of rain won't do much we might have mud for 1 day.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

And, here I thought you were talking about growing under cover during the colder months, Gary.

I may be in trouble in the greenhouse. The plants in there didn't have much time to adjust with such warm temperatures last week and 16°f (-9°C) this morning. No heat but everything is so-so frost hardy — not going out to check just now because it won't be above freezing outdoors for awhile.

There are a couple of books in your library that should be of help for the novice gardeners who live in more northern climes and may have had the same thought that I did. Niki Jabbour and Eliot Coleman are the authors.

Maybe I can take a picture of the little bed of Asian greens and lettuce in the greenhouse. I don't want to carry the heavy bench out to make use of the larger area this Winter. It is of limited value although considered worth it several seasons. We should have those veggies before the solstice but nothing grows in there during January without heat and lights.

Steve

imafan26
Mod

I grow most Asian greens: semposai, Komatsuna, bok choy, choi sum, tatsoi, Tokyo Bekana, pak choy, hon tsai tai, mizuna between October and May. Semposai, Komatsuna, and Tokyo Bekana may last until June if it is not too hot.
I could grow Michili or Napa cabbage, but I usually don't because I have limited space for the larger plants. It is also easy to find in the local markets. I have to choose between Komatsuna, Semposai, broccoli, and Kale. The lowest temperature I have ever had was 49 degrees, so I don't need winter protection. I know the kale and broccoli will handle frost and lettuce also handles a light frost better than it handles heat.

Most Asian vegetables are harvestable in about 40 days and can tolerate temperatures down to about 20 degrees with protection.

Salanova seems to be a lettuce of choice for people in colder climates. Romaine, butterhead, Rouge d' Hiver have cold hardy varieties that will grow in a cold frame or a mini hoop tunnel over the bed. Heat is more of a problem for me than cold.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

That is quite a list of Asian vegetables, Imafan! I have grown all of them altho I cannot remember if that really includes hon tsai tai. A few, I didn't care much for and DW also had preferences.

The gai lan was grown in the past but this year was quite a surprise how large and productive the plants became. They were only identified as "kailaan" (alternative spelling) on the Botanical Interests seed packet -- no unusual variety ID. I have grown it before during more than one seasons but have lately seen surprisingly large gai lan in the Asian market and wondered about new cultivars or just techniques used.

The greens in the little veggie garden looked to be in quite bad shape this morning. It was again 16°f (-9°C) and these recent lows are a big change from a week before. We can nearly always expect some Winter subzero temperatures. My experience with trying to leave bok choy in the open garden through the Winter is that most of the plants will not survive and, often, the survivors are in too bad of shape to have any usable growth to harvest in the Spring.

Steve

imafan26
Mod

Hon tsai tai is a purple choi sum. The seeds are not as easy to find, but I'll grow either one. It can also be called yu choy sum. The seeds are available at Kitazawa seeds. Kitazawa has cut the specialty seeds they used to carry since it was sold to True Leaf Market.

I actually don't have a cold problem. It is November and it is unusually dry and warm thanks to El Nino. There is usually more rain and fewer pests. But I am having problems with aphids, thrips, mites and mealybugs. Probably white flies too, they usually are around. There are more beetle damage as well. I usually depend mainly on the predators in the garden to control the pests, but some of the plants are being severely damaged by thrips and aphids that I probably will have to treat them. I haven't really had aphid issues in years, but they are back with a vengeance now. Normally, there are fewer pests now and pests like mites would go away with the rain from the rainy season. There just has not been enough rain.
The nights are getting cooler 67-70 degrees. The days are still in the mid 80's but less than 85 degrees which would be the cut off for most of the temperate crops.

Return to “Leafy Greens”