WallyWorld
Newly Registered

Meyer Lemon tree

I bought Valencia orange and Meyer lemon trees in a 5gallon size. I was told to repot them into a larger pot after one year. I did so about three weeks ago, and I am noticing the leaves drooping down. Is this normal? Also, when I first repotted them, the any blossoms they might’ve had dropped off. Any suggestions???

imafan26
Mod

Sounds like transplant shock. I usually don't transplant when flowers are in bloom or in summer unless I have to. The best time to plant is when the plant is in late dormancy just before the new leaves come out. About February. I rarely get transplant shock because I don't break up the roots, I just score it. I may cut off an inch or two of roots from the bottom, but that would require top work as well.

Try to keep the plant in a shadier location, water it to keep it moist but not too much. When it is in shock it won't want too much of anything. Give it time to recover. If the leaves perk up fine, is anything dies back, then cut it back to good wood with clean pruners. Take off any remaining flowers or fruit if any. After it recovers you can retrain it back to the sun and resume regular watering and feed the plant when you see new growth. Don't feed it before then, it is a waste of money if the plant is not actively growing.

Return to “Lemon Growing Discussions”