Abbasrizvi

Meyer lemon dropping leaves and soil fungus

I brought my meyer lemon inside for winter. since then it has dropped many leaves and drops them whenever I water. the leaves also fall because of this sort of soft large brown spots on the edges of the leaves. the tree still has fruit and is currently flowering. The soil at the base is also covered in white fuzzy mold that id like to get rid of if needed

imafan26
Mod

Sounds like you have been over watering. I would put the plant in the airiest place you can or in a sheltered place outside if it isn't frosty. let the soil dry out. No saucers under the pot. I would repot, but it is hard to do with a stressed plant carrying fruit. I would put the plant in a breathable pot like terra cotta. Citrus trees like good light and a deep drink when they get one but they require good drainage and should be able to dry out between waterings. They cannot sit in water.

Abbasrizvi

imafan26 wrote:Sounds like you have been over watering. I would put the plant in the airiest place you can or in a sheltered place outside if it isn't frosty. let the soil dry out. No saucers under the pot. I would repot, but it is hard to do with a stressed plant carrying fruit. I would put the plant in a breathable pot like terra cotta. Citrus trees like good light and a deep drink when they get one but they require good drainage and should be able to dry out between waterings. They cannot sit in water.
how do I get rid of the fungus. Is it mycorrhizae?

applestar
Mod

I think if the fuzzy is in the soil and not on the plant, then it could be beneficial mycorrhizae which is basically “roots” of good fungus that is simply naturally occurring to (or intentionally put in better potting mixes to help) break down woody ingredients, and in premium potting mixes, it could be special species added to symbiotically aid plants’ health and growth.

If the surface appearance of the mycelia bothers you, you could simply stir up the mix with something like a plastic fork or mix in some sand. But don’t be surprised if mushrooms start to grow out of the soil at some point.

...on the other hand, if the plant is infested with some kind of sucking pests, the mold could mean honeydew/basically “sweet pee” dropped by the sucking pests. Usually they develop black sooty mold when on lower leaves, but on the soil, could have developed white mold. Are there sticky substance on any of the lower leaves? Do you see ants (or flies) congregating on or under the plant?

Return to “Lemon Growing Discussions”