673DSCC
Newly Registered

Meyer Lemon dropping leaves

Since I live in Zone 7, I have to move my Meyer Lemon tree in doors for the winter. Over the past few months the tree has been dropping it's leaves. It is now down to only 3 leaves. Can it survive if it looses all of it's leaves? Thanks

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Sudden changes in the environment can be stressful for trees. What did the leaves look like when they were falling off? where they dry and wrinkly (this means theres not enough water) or were they a bit moldy (this means theres a fungus or bacterial problem)

imafan26
Mod

Citrus require high light. When you moved them indoors did you provide them with artificial light?

673DSCC
Newly Registered

The leaves are green and seem very healthy. No I did not provide any artificial light. Will I loose this tree when all the leaves fall off?

imafan26
Mod

It may be going dormant because of the low light. Where I live that happens when the tree gets overwhelmed with vines but as long as it does not go on for too long and the light is restored it can make new leaves. Maybe Applestar or someone who has citrus trees in a cold climate can tell you how to keep them over winter. Where I live, the trees are fine outdoors all year.
I found this article on overwintering citrus.
https://www.gardena.com/ie/garden-life/g ... ring-them/

applestar
Mod

I lost my Meyer lemon tree -- combo of accidental overwatering stress and scale infestation. I do have a whole bunch -- a dozen or so -- of other seed-grown citruses however.

Be sure yours is not being attacked by scale insects. They are very hard to spot due to excellent camouflage. -- waxy yellow green and brown bumps that look like part of the natural branch structure. If there are ants visiting the tree or the general area, most definitely -- I believe they bring them out of their nests to pasture on the indoor overwintering plants.

This year, early ladybug deployment, persistent borax ant-baiting as soon as any ants are spotted --and possibly the predatory mites as well-- have been helping to keep them down. But this time of the year, when the days lengthen and occasional thaw allows the ants to send out scouts and advance parties is when you have to be most vigilant.

Lower light and lower temp can put the citrus trees in semi-dormant state and some of the older leaves will drop regardless. I've had little trees that lost all leaves come back when new leaves grow out -- as long as the tender new buds and leaves are protected from pests.

Almost all of mine are starting to leaf out with new buds in response to lengthening days.

Return to “Lemon Growing Discussions”