brian

How to Split and Divide a Hosta

I want to split my Hosta because it is way too big for the area where it resides.

Wash soil of hosta roots when dividing?
I always left the soil on the roots but I was told by someone that I should wash the soil off the roots before I split it and replant. Is this good advice or not?

When is it too late to split a hosta?
It has started to come back out of its dormant state from the winter and I fear I have waited too long to split it.

I have done this in the past by digging up the whole thing and then using a spade to divide it into sections, I then replanted it in basically the same environment and soil.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and God Bless, Brian :D

MaineDesigner
Green Thumb

Unless you have disease or nematode issues I wouldn't be too concerned about getting all the old soil off the roots or replanting in fresh soil. Most hostas are nearly bullet proof, you shouldn't have any problems with dividing them now. Just given them some water after you replant them and don't let them sit out of the ground for long, especially if there is bright sun and/or it is windy.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

brian,

I agree completely with MaineDesigner no need to bare root them just to put them back in the same soil. If you were wanting to pot one then I would remove the native soil though. I have transplanted Hosta in midsummer and they don't seem to mind at all. Now if I could just keep the Deer away from them.

Norm

brian

Thank you both for the info, off to the garden I go! Have a great day and God Bless, Brian. :D

Return to “Hosta”