Sportive_gardner
Newly Registered

Did I kill my newly planted bulbs??? lilly of valley & Hosta

Hi, All-- I am pretty new to gardening, but overall have ad great success so far.....except for my Lilly of the Vally & Hosta that never came up from bulbs.

I bought tons of bulbs from Costco this spring and planted them all in our new yard per the instructions.
I did plant both the Hosta & the Lilly of the Valley in partly shady areas. I planted them in May and did not have any freezes that could be the cause.

It has been about 2 months and they haven't come up. Other newly planted bulbs came up in June.
Did I kill these bulb plants??

We live just outside of Park City, UT and I pulled this planting zone info= 4B
USDA Hardiness Zone 4b: -25F to -20F. Using updated climate data through 2010, is in the Plantmaps Hardiness Zone 4b: -25F to -20F.
The average first frost in 84032 is between September 11 - 20, while the average last frost occurs between June 1 - 10. 84032 is part of Ecoregion 19g - Mountain Valleys.
Averages 31 - 45 days per year where the temperatue exceeds 86°F. The average annual high temperature in 84032 is 61°F and the average annual low temperature is 30°F.
The average high temperature in July (Summer) is 86°F, while the average high temperature in January (Winter) is 35°F.

Thanks in advance for your input/advice/help!!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

If the bulbs have not sprouted since May, they probably are dead. I can't tell from what you have said so far what might be the cause. You might get more information if you tried digging a few up. If they are mushy and rotten, they got over-watered. If they are dry and shrivelled, they got under-watered. If something chewed them up or ate in to them, that will be obvious.

Let us know what you find! Welcome to the Forum!

Sportive_gardner
Newly Registered

thanks for the suggestions, rainbowgardener! I will dig some up and see what I find.

Return to “Hosta”