Madge
Newly Registered

Pruning or Dividing Hostas Which is First?

Hello!

I'm a woefully black-thumbed gardener with a terrible track record of keeping plants alive. Fortunately, some hostas I planted several years ago have survived (no surprise there!).

I'd like to divide them and move them to a different location. Many of their leaves are turning brown, but the stalks still look healthy.

So my question is regarding when I should prune them back. Do I prune them before I dig them up, while they are dug up, or once they've been in their new location for awhile? If before, how long should I wait until I dig them up?

I'm worried about over-traumatizing them. Seems like a lot to be pruned, dug up, cut up, and replanted, especially now in PA when the mornings are chilly. The days are still warm, though.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Madge

KeyWee

Cut them back, dig them up, divide them, replant. As long as you are moving them to a part shade area, they will do fine next season. Since winter approaches, you may want to mulch them some to reduce stress. No matter how black your thumbs are, you really can't kill hostas (can you?:).

Madge
Newly Registered

I've yet to kill one Arborvitae and Wandering Jews are an entirely different story, however!

Thank you for your suggestion, KeyWee. I do hope I can make this work with minimal carnage. I'll post pix in the spring!

Have a wonderful day!

Return to “Hosta”