wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Hosta Virus - Leaves Losing Light Green Center

Local forums are talking about a hosta virus that causes hybrids to break and revert to parents, or to just plain green. I have a Striptease hosta that is losing the light green center, the leaves are coming in mostly splotchy dark green in the center, with the white dividing line intact. Are the neighbouring hostas in danger of "catching" this? What is the name or type of virus? Any cure, or throw it out, and order another? Is this a soil-borne or insect-borne virus? Revolution is next door and I'd hate to lose its precious freckles! Thanks for your help.

Happy Gardening

This is the named disease you refer to. Color within the leaf will bleed into another area, rather like tie dyed fabric. Using google in both the regular and image links, type in the above name. There is a Hallson MI Nursery link with good photos and an informative article. Read through some of the links to find a listing of hostas which are naturally mottled looking and those that are mottled due to the virus.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Good call. There are a few that have that look ( I've often wondered) and many that are more suceptible than others. I'v also heard you can drive the virus out by holding 85 degree temps for a week or so, but how to do that?

HG

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Scott, I think you're thinking of "solarization", which involves sterilizing the soil via the sun. Requires about two weeks (?) of hot, dry, totally sunny days. All healthy plants are removed and planted elsewhere, the soil covered with heavy black plastic and all edges buried. Here in MI it's a crapshoot for that many sunny, cloudless days and temps above 85. Also, my bed is underneath a mature silver maple, no chance for that procedure; and replacing the soil is next to impossible with all the tree roots. Dang. Striptease was one of my favourites, too. Murphy strikes again. Thanks to all for your help on this topic. If I remove the hosta and plant a fern or astilbe in its place, they won't fall prey to that virus, will they--it's only a hosta virus?

Return to “Hosta”