Marge
Cool Member

Can you eat hosta leaves?

Can you eat hosta leaves? A friend told me that in Japan hostas are grown as food. :o

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

This is a nation that curdles it's soybeans and eats them so anything is possible... :roll:

I know they also eat miscanthus hearts, and you couldn't pay me, so no, I haven't heard of it, but that don't mean it ain't so...

HG

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

"Apparently, yes you can eat Host leaves."

https://www.hostas.com/articles/hostas/edible/hosta_cookery.html

Yes, it says that you can eat the flowers and the leaves. Never tried them myself but, I'm happy to have learned that one of my favourite plants is edible!

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

I have been a fan of the genus for years, but it never occurred to me to make a salad of them... :lol:

HG

Marge
Cool Member

Now that is a surprise, I thought I was going to get replies of 'you must be barking mad!' :wink:

I wonder what they taste like? :?

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

You guys first. Hey, one of the local chat/forums is saying hostas get a virus that causes them to revert from their hybrid form. Anybody know a name or what type of virus? I have a Striptease that seems to be losing its light green center and going to dark green splotchy in that area, while still keeping the dividing white line around it. I know, I just hijacked the thread, so I'll find somewhere else to post.

Happy Gardening!

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

BAD WING! :evil:... ( :P )

Yeah that sounds like a virused plant; destry it before it gets into your other hosta...

HG

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

That's hilarious!

Anyway, eating Hosta's definately seems to be a practice and after doing the research that I posted here, I have been telling all the local hosta growers about the new addition to their salad bars.

Return to “Hosta”