hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Hosta pests

We planted hostas at our gated entry last year. Some critter ate the roots all the way up to the crown. I suspect that voles were the problem as there were some mole runs in the area. This year the hostas have been replanted with one major adjustment. The plants have been left in the three gallon nursery pots which were planted leaving the rim about two inches above ground level. Hopefully the plastic pot will discourage any major underground munching.

skiingjeff
Green Thumb

Interesting idea! When its time to split your Hosta will you dig up the pots, split them, and then replant in the pots?

You'll have to let us know how this works. I hate those voles and moles! :evil:

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Most likely, but three gallon pots will likely last for at least three years. Hosta don't thrive in our poor soil and southern heat, not like they seem to thrive most places further up north. They may do as well in the clay down south, our soil is almost pure sand and is riddled with oak roots.

skiingjeff
Green Thumb

We have heavy clay soil which the Hosta do enjoy but doesn't stop those voles from eating them. I was out again today and there were several new tunnels in the beds. :(

So far the Hosta haven't been eaten but....

Return to “Hosta”