ESMcLane
Cool Member

Cut Back Hosta When Weather Gets Old or Leave As-Is?

Should I cut our hostas back when the weather gets cold, or do I leave them as is?

thank you : )

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

Where are you? They will most likely die.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

They are cold hardy. They won't die, but they will die back on their own. So it's just a sanitation issue. You can leave them alone and they will be fine and those leaves do seem to just disappear after awhile. If you like to keep a really clean garden, with less places for pests to hide, you can cut it back once they are going dormant and the leaves are getting yellow.

ESMcLane
Cool Member

Thank you : )

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

My neighbor gave me some Hostas and I was wondering if since I transplanted them from one garden to another, will they still bloom this year? I have asked several people and have gotten different answers, one person said yes they wil bloom it just will be later and another one said no but they will next year. Can someone tell me if they will or not, or point me to a link that will explain it to me, I have never had hostas before and I know that some flowers when you transplant them, they take time off and "sulk".

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

I have a picture that you will love! I answered my own question, here is the answer.
100_5099hostas.jpg
They will bloom and they are of course going to be white, I hope they are fragrant, does anyone know if the white flowers have a scent?

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

Here is the first completely open Hosta bloom of 2014, I smelled it and it is so sweet, I just wish I could bottle that smell, I would be rich! It sure is bigger than I thought it would be.
101_1175h.jpg
:-()

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

You know what kind of hosta that is?

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

no, is it a rare one? I don't think I have ever seen any like this one. The smell is incredible!!!!!!

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

I've not seen white blooms, and mine do not have a smell.

Meme
Cool Member

So lovely the flower of your Hosta there roseycheeks. :D Really pretty.

I have tried a few times over the years to grow them, but they get jumped on so fast with slugs, as much as I do use the slug pellets. I might try again getting a few, but just adding them to large plant pots.

Return to “Hosta”