biogirl
Newly Registered

Split Hostas & Planted. Why Won't Hosta Bloom?

Hello everyone! Early last fall (Sept-ish) I split about 5 hostas from my Mum's garden and planted them in my own. They seemed to be fine last year after they were planted, but not a single one has come up this year :(

I'm in Southern Ontario, and the hostas at my Mums have all started to come up, as have the few established plants that were already at my own house. So my question is what did I do wrong? I do have rabbits that were nibbling on the leaves a little bit in the fall, but that shouldn't have killed the plants entirely. I am holding out hope that they are just taking longer to poke up because they were transplants...but I have a feeling that isn't the case.

Any advice would be appreciated!

mtmickey

Do you have them planted in a shadier area than your mom's? My hostas are in complete shade and have not showed sign of life yet, but they do every year. I wouldn't worry too much yet.

applestar
Mod

I think it's possible that the roots didn't have the chance to get completely established -- grow deep into the soil, grow fat to store energy -- and your plants were winter killed.

Try planting some now so they can grow strong over the entire growing season.

In my case, I tried planting rosemary in August two years ago, but it was winterkilled. I planted some more in spring last year, and they have come through this winter, even the one in less protected area.

biogirl
Newly Registered

I went home yesterday to fine that one of the five is starting to come up, so thats a good sign I guess. The hostas at my Mums are actually in a more shaded area! I hope that the others weren't killed over the winter, but if they don't make an appearance within a month I will go get some more and try again.

Thanks for the advice!

Return to “Hosta”