mingbop

What are Needs of Hosta to make them grow?

tell me about hostas--what do they like or dislike ? do they need a lot of water ? thanks. 8)

meesh
Cool Member

Hostas are great garden plants. They come in sizes from 3" to 4'. Most hostas prefer shade but I have some that grow just fine in the sun. They are premium slug food and cutworms love them , too. The more sun, the more water. They are not heavy feeders but I do feed mine well.
I have a blue umbrellas in a 3 gallon pot that is 3' tall and absolutely beatiful.

I would recommend hostas to anyone and everyone. Oh, and the flowers aren't bad either.

mingbop

I didnt know they had flowers ! thanks for that .x

Grey
Greener Thumb

Yes, I very much recommend hostas to anyone. They are trouble free, easy plants, that can offer so much variation, I just love them.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Yes, I have always loved hostas just for their leaves but, we planted a bunch at my Mothers place and I was so pleasantly surprised to find that they have these lovely little delicate flowers. One more bonus for planting hostas.

Here is another bonus, you can eat the leaves.

hummingbird
Newly Registered

Hostas are my LOVE! Yes they do like a good drink to grow their best, but overall very forgiving plants. They do indeed bloom, some like the blooms and others cut them off since they don't care for them.
There are several varieties that have such fragrant blooms that perfume the evening air YUMMY!

Last but not least, not to forget that the hummingbirds love those trumpet shaped hosta flowers too. I have a website with my hostas if anyone is interested in looking at it pm me, not sure if I'm allowed to post the link here so best to be safe and not until I know for sure.

Rachel

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Thanks for the information Rachel!

Gardena

Our hosta in container always disappeared (leaves turned brown and dies) by winder. and come back up in spring. So they never seem to become BIG -_- as I normally see in magazines. very compact. leaves are like 7 inches...
Does your Hosta disappears too? don't they supposed to be evergreen in warm area? I live in near san jose(like northeren CA)
PLease let me know if its only my hosta do that LOL

Franco

My mom planted hostas in our backyard and the deer just ate them up. Or at least we think it was deer, since there are sooooo many around.

Gardena

aww I'm sorry to hear....
tho that is not my case >< No dears around in San jose, I have small yard with high fence =P

meesh
Cool Member

Hostas do go dormant in the winter. The reason yours doesn't get big may be that you have a small or dwarf variety. Try a giant one like Blue Umbrellas. In a big enough container, it could reach 3' tall (mine is).

Return to “Hosta”