newbyplantlover
Cool Member

Can Hosta Grow Indoors? Leaves Slowly Dying

I have acquired a small hosta plant which was sold in the 'houseplants' section of the store I was shopping in (I don't recall at this moment exactly where I bought it). I thought the card said it was a shade lover, and thought it would do well as a houseplant. However, the young leaves at the base of the plant are slowly dying. They're shriveling up, turning brown, etc. I've searched briefly for information on hostas on the net, and can't find anything conclusive.

Should this plant be outdoors in a shady location? I know I have seen many hosta outside. Is it possible to grow them successfully indoors?

Here's my plant:

[img]https://2.bp.blogspot.com/_jig48n2cjxc/Sf2nBWwZi5I/AAAAAAAAA_4/Cq-gTb9wl3A/s400/hosta.jpg[/img]

[img]https://4.bp.blogspot.com/_jig48n2cjxc/Sf2mypcaE3I/AAAAAAAAA_o/JpSDQycs15o/s400/hosta2.jpg[/img]

Thanks for the help!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You should be able to grow hosta indoors through the growing season. After that, it needs a cold dormant period. If you put the pot in an unheated garage to be dormant in winter it might make it.

Here's one thing I found re the leaves:
Troubleshooting
Slugs and snails cause large holes in the leaves
Deer will eat the leaves down to the stem; rabbits will eat new emerging shoots.
Scorched leaves- plant needs more shade
Crown rot-outer leaves wilted and yellowed
Wilted and browning leaf tips-not enough water

Hostas do like more moisture than a lot of other plants.

newbyplantlover
Cool Member

thanks for the helpful info rainbow!

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Could be fungal, so just remove those leaves and chuck them; plenty of other foliage...

HG

Return to “Hosta”