JennyC
Green Thumb

Found an apple tree!

I know, I know. How do you find a tree? I'm not sure I can communicate how overgrown this old farm is -- it was abandoned for years. There are too many trees for us to look at them all closely.

So. Yesterday evening I wasn't feeling well and my husband was watering the zucchini for me. I was sitting in a violet patch picking greens, and I heard him say, "Did you tell me about an apple tree at the end of the garden?" I reminded him about the crabapple tree by the garden gate, and he said, "No, this looks too big for crabapple. Let me get my machete." (Overgrown, remember?)

Anyway, we have a good-size apple tree loaded with green apples that are just beginning to soften up. If I remember my acid contents correctly, this means I need to buy a pressure canner this year, not next...

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

1) I have made apple butter with hot-water bath canning. Also applesauce.

2) Don't tell me, let me guess: the machete is for the kudzu??? That stuff can hide CARS TREES HOUSES you name it. Yikes!

Cynthia H.
USDA Zone 9, Sunset Zone 17

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

If I remember my acid contents correctly, this means I need to buy a pressure canner this year, not next...
Such a shame you found that big bad ole apple tree so now you have to buy a pressure canner. (rubbing hands together) Misery loves company.

doccat5
Green Thumb

You can do apples in a water bath and also they freeze up nicely as well.

JennyC
Green Thumb

Thanks for the acid info, everyone. Glad to hear I can water bath apples, because Walmat is sold out of pressure canners (as in they sold the two they had) for the year. I think I'll also dry some and freeze some if my freezer space holds out.

Cynthia: we have the incredible fortune not to have kudzu. Cows do eat it, so we have a good buffer with the adjacent dairy farms. The machete was mostly for blackberries and honeysuckle. There's a real blackberry thicket on that end of the garden (not where I'm picking mine, mostly, though the new machete trail does give me an inroad).

Return to “Apple Topics”