famannella
Newly Registered

Little Black worms/caterpillars eating leaves of my apple

:(
little black worms
little black worms
My dwarf apple leaves are being eaten by a small black worm/caterpillar. The leaves are chewed and curling. Any help greatly appreciated

Thanks

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Try this post again!

They look like Tent Caterpillars to me. They like my fruit trees too, but the LOVE my pecan trees.

If you must use something, BT is pretty soundly effective. HOWEVER, many of the natives here eat or parasitize them, which boosts the predatory population for future years. When you kill them all off, you harm the cycle.

The good thing about tent worms, aside from the ecological importance, is that even large hatchings occur early, and anydefoliation that occurs as a result can be regenerated by most plants.

Hope that helps!

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Also, welcome to the forum!

famannella
Newly Registered

Thanks very much. I tried BT but I think mine was a few years old. I'll get a fresh bottle

Pat & Rich in GA
Newly Registered

This is Pat. From reading this forum, I think we have Tent Worms on our 2nd year Fruit Tree orchard ... 6 trees, 4 are multi-fruit grafted fruit trees. They have just come out of nowhere it seems. Had NO trouble in 2017 when we first planted them, but since they are producing small fruit already this year, the pests are ON!
We are ALL organic, including soils, fertilizers, plants, trees, pesticides (prefer to make our own). Lindsay from SC talked about BT to use on these worms, but I don't know what BT stands for. Help!! :cry:
Will submit a pic of our garden & orchard for our profile when Rich is finished building another trellis for our climbing veggies(just got done with the fruit trellis 2 weeks ago) & the big, big garden raised bed. We only have 3 planting tables on tall legs he built for me 3 years ago, can't wait to get the BIG garden raised bed!! I design everything, he builds them!! HA!! :D

JONA
Greener Thumb

BT stands for Bacillus Thuringiensis Kurstaki
This is a natural bacterium found In most soils. Because its naturally occurring it’s considered an organic product to use.
When used it is ingested by caterpillars / worms and a toxin is produced in the gut which kills the creature.
Being very specific in its action it is harmless to other species that may go on to feed on the caterpillars.

Return to “Apple Topics”