Jackshepherd5
Newly Registered

Identifying black bugs on apple tree, help?

20170423_200518-1.jpg
20170423_200546-1.jpg
I noticed a lot of these small black bugs on my Crispin apple tree. They mainly congregate around the blossom and seem to nestle deep in the pollen, making them hard to remove.
I try to remove them as I see them but I'm not sure what they are, or if I should be worried! There are probably 50 on the tree right now, too many to constantly be removing.

One image is the insect on the stem. The other image is showing them nestling in the pollen.

Any idea what they are, and what to do about them?

I'd like to avoid pesticide if possible but I'd rather have a healthy crop of apples, so I will bend!

Thanks for any help.

McPeg

Hi, they look like "flea beetles". Found this online: https://www.almanac.com/pest/flea-beetles

You could try contacting your local state univerisity agriculture department / co-operative for helpful advice as well.
How large is your apple tree? If you only see about 50 you could try to vacuum them off with a shop vac to get them before they jump around?

JONA
Greener Thumb

Hi,
I don't believe they are flea beetles.
Their antenna are different ...much shorter and stubbier.
A sure sign of flea beetle is the fact that if you touch them...their gone..they hop that fast!
They are not Apple Blossom Weavil....a real pest...as they are definatly not a weavil.
So...I think they are just enjoying your blossoms pollen, and providing you can see no real damage, it may be a case of wait and see.
That's all I can suggest, unless anyone has more info.

Return to “Apple Topics”