Stacy1980
Newly Registered

What Should I do For My Fruit Tree (apple?) this Spring?

Morning,
We moved to our house last June and it has many fruit trees. We are located next to Alton NH. There are some that I believe are apples but am unsure as we didn't get any fruit last year due to the drought. I am not sure what I need to do to these trees this spring if anything (they are mature trees). I have read some articles online about trimming and pruning but I'm not following it all that well being new to all of this. If anyone can take a look at these pictures and give me advice, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you and enjoy your day. (If you hover over the pictures it'll tell you what they are)
Attachments
Unknown Apple 1 4-20.PNG
Pear 1 4-20.PNG
Nectarine 4-20.PNG
Golden Delish 4-20.PNG
Nectarine 4-20.PNG
Gala 4-20.PNG
Fuji 4-20.PNG
Plum 4-20.PNG

JONA
Greener Thumb

Hi Stacy,
I think your going to have to wait and see what each of these trees actually are. Three and five are the same tree I think!
If no1 is an apple tree ...then it's got a severe attack of paper canker and needs removing. There again it could be a Paper Bark Acer.
I would leave them for this season. Then take full photos of them for us in the fall and decide then on what needs to be done.
On the whole their not too badly shaped.

Stacy1980
Newly Registered

Hi John,
Thank you so much. I'm glad to know they aren't in bad shape except that one. I just Googled Paper Bark Acer and it's certainly not that, the previous owner planted all fruit trees in that one area. So should we remove the entire tree or just the bark?

Thank you, Stacy

JONA
Greener Thumb

Hi Stacy.....I would remove that tree completely I'm afraid.
Canker that bad would need a constant battle to control.
But...and it's a big but.....if you want to try to save it then here's what to do.
Get some grafting paint or sealing paint. Pull all that flaking bark of the tree and burn. With a sharp knife trim along the damaged edges where you remove the bark to expose clean wood. Paint straight away as you trim.
You may be lucky and save the tree.......personally I'd dig it up and burn it...but it depends on you.
Good luck.

Stacy1980
Newly Registered

Morning,
Thank you, I think we'll dig it up and burn it. I appreciate your advice.

Return to “Apple Topics”