Stephen111725

Apple Tree in container falling over

My apple tree is very tall and skinny and it falls over without intervention and no matter which way I turn it it is always crooked. How do I fix it ?
Attachments
2016-08-22 18.26.23.jpg

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I'm not sure, but if you put APPLE tree in your subject line, you are more likely to catch the eye of JONA our resident professional orchardist. :)

applestar
Mod

I re-phrased the subject line and moved the discussion to Fruit Forum :wink:

JONA
Greener Thumb

Hi Stephen,
I'm assuming that you want to keep your tree in a pot?
So....first question, do you know what rootstock its on?

If it is on a dwarfing stock then this winter you will have to cut that leader back about a foot.
When you make the cut ..cut it to just above a bud that is facing back towards the bend...this will start to get the tree back into line, as well as making side shoots develope down the trunk.
As to it falling over.
I'm afraid that it's always going to be top heavy unless you get it into a much larger, heavy pot. Unless, of course, you can get a more substantial stake into the ground beside the pot.
Remember, once the tree is carrying a crop it will be even more top heavy.
If the tree is not on a dwarfing stock then you may struggle to keep it pot bound as it would need very careful pruning and care to keep it under control.
Do you know the variety?

Stephen111725

JONA wrote:Hi Stephen,
I'm assuming that you want to keep your tree in a pot?
So....first question, do you know what rootstock its on?

If it is on a dwarfing stock then this winter you will have to cut that leader back about a foot.
When you make the cut ..cut it to just above a bud that is facing back towards the bend...this will start to get the tree back into line, as well as making side shoots develope down the trunk.
As to it falling over.
I'm afraid that it's always going to be top heavy unless you get it into a much larger, heavy pot. Unless, of course, you can get a more substantial stake into the ground beside the pot.
Remember, once the tree is carrying a crop it will be even more top heavy.
If the tree is not on a dwarfing stock then you may struggle to keep it pot bound as it would need very careful pruning and care to keep it under control.
Do you know the variety?
I don't know anything about rootstock and could you explain how exactly to be pruning this?

applestar
Mod

Where did it come from? Did you buy it as a container tree? Did it have a tag/label?

JONA
Greener Thumb

Ah!
Most fruit trees are not grown on their own roots. If they were you could never be sure how vigorous or how tall they would grow.
So, trees are grafted onto a root system that we know how strong or weak it is.
These stocks carry a number that should be on the label that's attached to the tree when you buy it.
However.....if you do not have the label..then it's anyone's guess.
Now pruning.
Don't cut anything in the summer months. If you did the tree would just grow all the more.
Leave it until the leaves have all fallen of in the fall and then post a picture on this board and then we can try to help you prune it.

ACW

Jona
there will be photos come october from Highbury .
we have a Katy on dwarf root stock ,that needs a prune
I originally had it in a pot for a few years,then transfered to my tiny garden where it produces more most years .

Stephen111725

JONA wrote:Ah!
Most fruit trees are not grown on their own roots. If they were you could never be sure how vigorous or how tall they would grow.
These stocks carry a number that should be on the label that's attached to the tree when you buy it.
Now pruning.
Don't cut anything in the summer months. If you did the tree would just grow all the more.
Leave it until the leaves have all fallen of in the fall and then post a picture on this board and then we can try to help you prune it.
Uh I didn't buy it I planted a seed in paper cup and now it's big.

JONA
Greener Thumb

Stephen111725 wrote:
Now pruning.
That means it's a seedling.
So it is your variety...you can call it what you want as you can only know one of the parents....the apple you took the pip from.
It's therefore on its own roots. Nothing wrong with that except there is no way of telling how big or small it will grow.
I would think though that it in all probability will be too strong for your pot. Only time will tell.

Stephen111725

JONA wrote:
Stephen111725 wrote:
Now pruning.
That means it's a seedling.
So it is your variety...you can call it what you want as you can only know one of the parents....the apple you took the pip from.
It's therefore on its own roots. Nothing wrong with that except there is no way of telling how big or small it will grow.
I would think though that it in all probability will be too strong for your pot. Only time will tell.
So what should I do to keep it upright and would planting other things in there be a good idea? Maybe grass?

applestar
Mod

Well, looking at the photo you posted, the bamboo stake you have looks too skinny to support the apple and being in a pot, the stake just isn't stable enough. So what I would do is move the pot closer to the edge of the paved area and drive two, sturdier stakes into the dirt -- one on either side of the pot. Then cross tie the apple to the two stakes so that it is kept upright but also has a bit of freedom to move around -- this will encourage it to develop a stronger structure.

The thin bamboo stake can be used to help straighten the trunk while it is still flexible -- use soft wide ties in several places to snugly tie it straight -- this needs to be checked often so the tree isn't getting strangled.

In fact, if you do this, then you can cross tie the BAMBOO to the sturdy stakes, which will allow you to use tighter knots on the bamboo without hurting the apple.

Return to “Apple Topics”