fairygardengirl

need help with apple trees

I have 2 apple trees in my front yard that were planted by the previous owner. They are leaning to one side quite a bit and only one of them had any apples last year. What should I do?

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

Please post pictures of your trees.

Detral

Do you know what type they are? I read that if they don't bloom at the same time they won't pollinate each other. Also, if some trees bear too much fruit one year they might have a year without any, that's why you cut back fruit in the spring

JONA
Greener Thumb

Hi ,
As has been said..it would help us if you could post a picture of your trees.
Until we see how big and how old they are, it's not possible to say if they could be straightened.
As regards fruiting. Did the one that had no fruit have flower?.

fairygardengirl

Here they are! I don't know which is which because the previous owner never told us specifically, but they did say that one of them was a Cortland, and the other was a Macoun.
this is the tree that didn't have any apples last year
this is the tree that didn't have any apples last year
here is the other tree
here is the other tree

JONA
Greener Thumb

Right...first things first FGG,
Both those trees could be pulled more upright but...it should be done in the early spring, just before the trees start to break bud. This would then allow any broken roots to mend quickly without putting a strain on the top of the tree. I guess the trees will need pruning prior to this but I would suggest that you put a picture on here in the winter months of them when they are leafless so that we can give you some help as to what needs to be removed.
Before pulling up you will need two stakes to be driven into the ground either side of the trunk....so that once the tree has been straightened a cross beam can be put in place across these stakes and the tree allowed to then rest on this beam until it's roots set in their new position.
How upright you can get them depends on two things....how much muscle you can get on them....and how much they will come upright without breaking too much root. You can feel the give in the roots quite easily as the tree is raised.
Now...those varieties.
Firstly you have problem. They are both triploids. That means that they both need a pollinator...but, they cannot pollinate in their turn. So you need another tree to act as the pollinator of them both. Either an apple or perhaps a crab apple ( malus) tree. However, you said that one of them cropped ok, so there must be a tree in the area that is doing the job.
The Macoun is a cross between a McIntosh and a Jersey Black. Prone like its parent to canker. Good taste, very sweet , tough skin but regarded as a lovely Apple. Bred in 1923.
Courtland is an older Apple. Bred in 1898. Ben Davis crossed with McIntosh.
Described as very sweet with soft ,white ,melting flesh with a vinious flavour.

fairygardengirl

Thank you so much for all the descriptive and helpful feedback, and the great descriptions of the apples! :D

Return to “Apple Topics”