Ben93

Apple tree leaves turning brown

One of my 2 apple trees have got some of the leaves turning brown that I have removed now but I am unsure of the cause I know apples suffer from a lot of diseases so I'm debating wether to burn this one as I don't want my apple or other fruit getting problems. The tree in question has grown lots in height but it hasn't flowered like the other one has.

JONA
Greener Thumb

Without a picture it would just be guessing Ben.
If the leaves were crimping up and dying, then the odds are that it was a canker problem.
Diseases like scab make misshapen brown spots on the leaves first.
Take a photo of the tree if you can.....and cut one of the shoots that had the brown leaves on and see if there is any signs of brown staining under the Cambium layer.

Ben93

There's some photos
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

JONA
Greener Thumb

That looks like scab Ben.
Spraying with sulphur or a commercial product for scab control will keep the tree clean.
The sprays stop the spores of scab from germinating, so they are protectors ...not eradicators.
This means that you have to keep a regular spray programme going during the growing season so that new leaf gets protected as it grows.
The spores spread in warm, damp periods known as Mills Periods.
Scab will effect the fruit as well, causing brown scabs to form on the skin of the fruit. It's only skin deep though and the fruit is still fine to eat.
Pears can be attacked by it too.

Ben93

Can it spread to other trees as I have a lot of trees like a birch and a row and a rowan tree. I may just burn the tree to be honest.

Ben93

Also pears and cherries an peaches,

JONA
Greener Thumb

Afraid burning the tree will not stop scab appearing Ben.
If you grow apples or pears and you don't protect them....you will finish up with some amount of scab.
There are some varieties are more resistant than others. Most modern vars are susceptible though, as breeders concentrate more on looks, sweetness and taste, as these are the fruits that sell.

Ben93

I've binned the diseased tree but the others look ok will it only affect the apples and pear trees and not the cherries or other fruit and how do I protect them from it. Here's some pictures of the other tree that were near it.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Ben93

I have found some vitax organic 2 in 1 pest and disease control is this stuff any good because I have some laying about and it's not going to contain mank chemicals that I will be eating.

JONA
Greener Thumb

Although there is a fungal infection called scab for both cherry and peach Ben, it is not the same pathogen that attacks apples and pears.
Afraid I do not know how effective the Vitax is against scab.
Mind you....sulphur is regarded as organic...but whatever you use there will be a recommended harvest interval for it.
In most cases scab spraying would end by mid July as the risk of fresh infection after that is regarded as low.
One thing that can help a lot too is a heavy spray of high nitrogen after harvest..something like Urea. This is taken in by the leaf and beside giving the tree a late boost it encourages quick dessication of the leaves at the fall so that any scab spores are not left on the ground for a long time as the leaves slowly rot.

Ben93

The vitax spray has plants and fish something or another in it so doesn't sound like it would do much.

Do you know any websites I can order a decent spray from? One that is ok to use on edible fruits.

Ben93

It stinks fishy but it's supposed to protect from bugs and certain fungus problems so I'm hoping it can help prevent. Any fruits going to need a good wash after having a fishy spray on them though haha.

JONA
Greener Thumb

Have you got a local gardening club near you Ben?
They will be able to give you the info you want...some of them even run their own supply store to give the cheapest and best service.

Return to “Apple Topics”