dougbthom

Why are Apple Tree Leaves Small?

I have a number of younger apple trees in our yard. I have one in particular that I'm having a problem with that hopefully will be solved on this forum. The tree in question is about 3 1/2 years old and about 9 feet tall. It started producing some nice apples almost 2 seasons ago.

This year the leaves have come out but remain very small ( maybe a half inch or so all over the tree). However there are many blossoms all over the tree. The tree did get some frost early on which is the only thing I can think of but none of the other apple trees are effected the way this one is. Has anyone got any idea as to what the problem may be please?

JONA
Greener Thumb

dougbthom wrote:I have a number of younger apple trees in our yard. I have one in particular that I'm having a problem with that hopefully will be solved on this forum. The tree in question is about 3 1/2 years old and about 9 feet tall. It started producing some nice apples almost 2 seasons ago. This year the leaves have come out but remain very small ( maybe a half inch or so all over the tree). However there are many blossoms all over the tree. The tree did get some frost early on which is the only thing I can think of but none of the other apple trees are effected the way this one is. Has anyone got any idea as to what the problem may be please?

Hi,
Two things...do you know the variety and can you put a picture up please.

dougbthom

Thanks for the reply John. I believe it's a September Ruby variety. I can't provide a picture right now as my wife has the camera with her away on a trip until this Sunday. There are no other obvious signs of distress with this tree other than the leaves are not developing as the other fruit trees are that I have. There are still a lot of blossoms on the tree.

JONA
Greener Thumb

Don't worry ..early next week see if you can put us a picture up.

dougbthom

Attempting to send a picture. Any ideas please!
Attachments
Tree 1.jpg

JONA
Greener Thumb

Just a further query ...what is that dark area at the base of the tree?
Is it a plastic protector or is that the trunks natural colour?
If it's a covour...remove it and look underneath.

dougbthom

Thanks John. I'm not sure what the dark area is. I think it's from the tree protector tube that I had on the tree as we get rabbits around here that like to chew on the tree bases. I've put some pruning sealer over the area . The area just looks somewhat raw and that's why I put the sealer over it. In the last few days. there has been some change to the growing of the leaves. A few of them have improved "slightly. I'm only guessing that this was a result of the tree getting some frost early in the season when the leaves were just starting to come out. Mind you the tree has has a lot of blossoms on it but that's about it.
Doug

JONA
Greener Thumb

As it looks to be in general good health Doug, I would leave it for a month and see if the leaves grow away normally.
There is a deficiency that can cause small leaves but it's rare.
Did you remove the plastic guard recently?
I only ask because they can severely restrict uptake from the roots when they get over tight around the trunk, also they can hide canker and collar rot from view.

dougbthom

Yes, I took the guard off about 2 weeks ago. I had them on all of our fruit trees and took them all off. The people that sold me the trees originally suggested that the guards stay on as they wouldn't harm the trees at all. I was always suspicious of the guards as they were fairly snug around the trunks. I guess all I can do at this point is monitor the situation and watch for improvement hopefully. I've got about 6 apple trees ( different varieties) and 2 plum trees as well as a lot of wild plum in the bush surrounding our yard site. All of my trees are quite young and I'm hoping that between the deer we have around as well as the worms which are just starting to show up, they will survive. I'm finding out that keeping fruit trees ( I'm a beginner) is quite a challenge. It's now become a hobby for me. Thanks for any input you can offer.
Doug

dougbthom

John: Further to: In having a real close look at this tree, I do notice that some of the branches look to have a "rough type" finish to them as though they are drying. They aren't the smooth finish to them as some of the other branches or the same type of finish as my other fruit trees. I hope this makes some sense.

JONA
Greener Thumb

Just monitor it Doug.
My worry is that there is canker in the trees system ...we shall see.
There's nothing you can do.

dougbthom

Hello again John:
Just to give you an update-- The leaves are finally starting to grow, that is in the last couple of days. This makes me more suspicious that this problem may have been frost in the early spring as well as the guard that I had around the base of the tree which did some damage. I'll just keep monitoring and see how it turns out. Do you recommend these guards around the base of new very young trees for a while or stay away from them? Thanks again.
Doug

JONA
Greener Thumb

I think the best guard is fine chicken wire.
A loop supported by a couple of short canes lets you see everything that's going on.
Glad the tree is recovering Doug.

Return to “Apple Topics”