Theclowndog

Apple tree air layer question

So about 3 weeks ago I did 2 air layers on one of my apple trees. This is my first time trying this. At the time the tree was just starting to leaf bud. Since then it has fully leafed out and even has leaves snd flower buds on the branches I'm attempting to air layer.
Yesterday I got to thinking that the wraps I had done were way too small for the branches I'm working on. So I very carefully removes the existing wraps and added peet moss, rewrapping. I pulled back a little of the existing moss on one and noticed that there was no visible root growth yet. Is this normal?

JONA
Greener Thumb

Hi TCD.
I'm afraid you were a little bit too impatient.
It can take up to a year to get Apple to air layer.
Just keep the wrap on tight so that moss stays damp and wait.
Check monthly to see how it's doing and hopefully by the end of summer you may see some results.
Good luck.

Theclowndog

Jona,
It is now late July and I still don't see any roots through the plastic bottles I used to contain the moist Peet moss. The branches themselves still look excellent. Perfect leaves, one even has an apple. I took a section of bark almost 2" long off when I originally attempt this project. Am I to assume that if the branches are still alive at this point, the air layers are working, just slowly?

JONA
Greener Thumb

Hi TCD,
I would be patient until the fall....then have a look to see if the roots had formed.
Apples do take a long time to air root..
If it's producing leaf then the branch is still healthy...but it tells us nothing about the rooting I'm afraid.
Good luck.

Return to “Apple Topics”