mauser

How to Plan an Apple Orchard

Zone 7a in Virginia conventional growing method.

So this year We had to replace our
Drain field for our septic system and a large plot of our woods is now grass. Our new drain field is 9' deep so I'm not worried about Apple roots getting into it.

I want to put in 15 semi-dwarf apple trees on 15' centers from each other and the verities I would like to grow are Fuji, Granny Smith, Golden Delicious, Jonathan, and Pink Lady.

The layout I have been planning looks something like this.

GD JO JO JO FJ
GS GD GS GD GS
PL PL FJ PL FJ

Any advice would be most helpful.

JONA
Greener Thumb

Hi Mauser,
At 15ft centres you are leaving plenty of room for growth on semi dwarf trees. I assume these are on 106 or similar.
All your varieties are ' keepers' except perhaps the Jonathan, which are best eaten fairly soon after harvest. Must say this is not one of my favourites as the growth can be weak and the variety is a mildew lover. I would prefer Jonagold or one of its clones. But that's a personal choice.
You have no early variety there though.
I would not suggest from this side of the pond though any varieties that I like as I don't know if you can get them there.
Good luck.

j3707
Green Thumb
Location: Pacific Northwest, Zone 8, 48" annual rainfall, dry summers.

Do you plan on fencing them to keep the deer out?

blueberrythrill
Newly Registered

I would suggest you break your harvest season into early, mid and late and then choose the best variety for each ripening window. This should provide you with apples all season long, starting in July and running until late October. Place the trees in a way that all early ripening variety are next to each other and the late ripening variety are next to each other. This will help keep the over spray from the late ripening variety off of the early variety before harvest. I believe your variety are fine, but more variety with fewer trees would be better. For an early apple nothing is close to Pristine. Fuji and Granny are late and Pink Lady is very late. Golden's ripen in mid September in your area. Also may want to research the specific rootstock, not just semi dwarf. The better nursery provide the name of the rootstock

Return to “Apple Topics”