Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

Frost & Low Temperatures Coming - Should I Pick My Apples?

I certainly don't mean to be dominating the fruit forum or anything :) , but never having had my own apple tree before, was wondering if I should pick my remaining apples. The reason being the forecast is calling for temps as low as 23 F next week. Will temps that low ruin the apples still on the tree, or help them or what?

It's a big ol' tree and I'll have to use a ladder. The people from whom we bought the property left a little basket on the end of a long pole, and I'm assuming it is for picking apples. But, it doesn't seem to work. You almost need to grab the apple with something at the same time! :?

JONA
Greener Thumb

Apples will not tolerate temps that low I'm afraid. It will cause breakdown of the fruits flesh, although they can take a low temperature for a couple of hours before this happens.
I would add here though that the higher up the tree you go the higher the temp will be. Most temperature forecasts refer to screened thermometers at only a few feet above the ground.
Try with the picking net again but once the fruit is in the net push the net upwards and to one side.
The problem is sometimes is with the variety of apples. Long stalked fruits....likeGolden Delicious etc.....can be hard to pick by simply pulling.

applestar
Mod

Yep. It's like a test of ripeness. The ones that are naturally ready to be picked will break off at the end of the stem where it connects to the branch or the entire twiggy branch will just break off.

The ones that are not ready will not come off no matter which way you lift the fruit or twist the stem.

With my semi-dwarf tree and espaliered apple tree and small number of apples, I "lift test" pick every day or every other day once they start ripening, and only force pick them to thin or remove damaged apples that are touching good ones.

---

Don't worry about asking all the questions. Your questions and the answers you get also inform others who have/wanted to ask the same questions. :wink:

Return to “Apple Topics”