doniemac
Newly Registered

apple/plum tree.please help

I have a tree that I would like to know what it's called.it has white blossoms in late spring followed by a green cherry tomato size fruit with a single stone inside.can anyone help.I can forward pics also.thanks guys..

JONA
Greener Thumb

Hi doniemac
There are many types of stone fruit like this. They are from a group known as the Cherry Plums.
Many varieties are known. Some are good eaters and most are used for jelly or preserves.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Hi and welcome to the Forum!!! Pics always help. You don't need to forward them, just embed them in your post. Use the grey upload attachment button at the bottom.

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

In the states there is a common variety of plum called green gage that would fit your description. They are quite small, round and even fully ripe are more greenish then yellow. They taste the best about the time they fall off the tree. The center is very sweet, but the skins leave a slight after taste in your mouth. We have one we planted. They are great for eating, jam (but very time consuming due to their size), but they are not the type of plums that you would dry.

JONA
Greener Thumb

I believe that the greengage is a whole species of plums that number well over 70 gage varieties, all date back to an original that came from France in the 1700'S called Reine Claude Verte.
George Washington had an orchard of these gages planted on his plantation in the mid 1700's and there is a variety over in the States called Washington I understand.(though if it dates back that far I don't know).
The whole family of plums, gages and cherry plums are all so closely related that they are inclined to merge.

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

That is why it is so hard to answer people when they ask exactly what they have, even if you can see the tree and taste the fruit. But I thank you for giving a more complete answer than I did, I always appreciate it when you do.

JONA
Greener Thumb

CharlieBear wrote:That is why it is so hard to answer people when they ask exactly what they have, even if you can see the tree and taste the fruit. But I thank you for giving a more complete answer than I did, I always appreciate it when you do.
With you there CharlieBear.
The problem goes right through the whole of the fruit species.
I try to identify apple varieties that are brought in by the public at West Dean College near here and with the thousands of varieties around it can be a challenge on some occasions.
My dread is that they come back the following year and I give them a different answer!!
Must say though with apples John Bultitude's book on core section views is invaluable when doubt creeps in.
Like you though....I find the challenge is great.

Return to “Apple Topics”