gwengwen
Newly Registered

espalier apple tree

Hi there,

I have a mature espalier (cox's orange pippin) apple tree, about 20 years old that has been healthy. This year on one of the branches all the leaves have turning yellow starting at the end of the branch and then dropped off. I have cleared away some branches from a nearby tree so it is getting more light and trimmed back some of the dead branch. However the leaves are continuing to turn yellow on that branch. The rest of the tree looks healthy. It was pruned as usual last fall and in the spring. Should I leave that dead branch this year even if it continues to die back? Any ideas? thanks

JONA
Greener Thumb

Hi Gwengwen
Cut a small piece off the end of your branch. Look at the cut section. Is there a darker ring just under the bark.
If there is, this is a sign of canker running up through the trees feeding system ( xylem). Continue cutting the branch back until the wood appears clear of this dark stain area.
If it is very near to the trunk before it clears I would remove the whole branch, but hopefully you can just cut back to clean wood.
Burn the trimmed wood.
Normally canker only works outward and upward in a trees feeding system.....not downwards, so once you have removed the main infection point you should be ok.

gwengwen
Newly Registered

Oh wow. This is scary! thanks, will cut the dead parts right away.

Return to “Apple Topics”