modsbyus
Newly Registered

Trying to identify spots on my apple tree

I have a young apple tree (2 years) that has brown /yellow spots with little bubbles on it. I guess it is some kind of eggs but I don't know. A picture is view-able at https://cloud.modsbyus.com/index.php/s/pGLEEnB8vX9RskV I also attached it to this post. Please let me know if you know what this is and how to fix it.
Attachments
WP_20150508_002.jpg

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

That definitely looks like "Cedar Apple Rust" to me (& I should know, since it's a serious problem here in VA). Don't know where you are located, but if you have junipers &/or cedars in your area, that's the natural host for this fungal disease. Where I'm located, we've given up on growing apples due to our property being deeply surrounded by Virginia Cedar trees. When the galls appear on the cedar trees (which will be happening soon here), they look like aliens from outer space - tennis-ball size spheres covered with bright neon-orange jelly-like tentacles. Shortly thereafter, the yellowish/rust/orange slightly-raised spots start appearing on apple leaves. (Thankfully, so far our one remaining apple - a weeping crabapple - has managed to dodge the bullet.)

Here are a couple of links to get you started, but there are plenty more on the internet to look at:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gymnospor ... irginianae

https://www.caf.wvu.edu/kearneysville/di ... omcar.html

If you do have a large juniper/cedar population in the area, there isn't a whole lot you can do outside of using certain fungicides on a regular basis &/or growing the few apple varieties that are supposed to have some resistance.

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

One other caution- make sure you pick up every single leaf that drops from that tree this year and either send them in the yard debris can if that happens where you are, or the garbage or burn them. Actually, every year it is best to do this with all leaves that fall from apple trees and most other fruit trees.

modsbyus
Newly Registered

Thanks for the replies. I am also in VA and am surrounded by ceders. My daughter started this apple tree from a seed and I have been taking care of it while she has been away. I don't think I am prepared to care for this tree every year as it gets bigger and more expensive to maintain.
Thanks!

TFA303

GardeningCook wrote:That definitely looks like "Cedar Apple Rust" to me

If you do have a large juniper/cedar population in the area, there isn't a whole lot you can do outside of using certain fungicides on a regular basis &/or growing the few apple varieties that are supposed to have some resistance.
Any suggestions on fungicides that work?

We don't have a lot of cedars here, but I'm guessing there are enough to transmit the fungus.

(Also, many thanks to the OP, the photo was very helpful to let me see that I have the same problem. )

TFA303

<Delete duplicate post>

Return to “Apple Topics”