bigjohn6348
Newly Registered

Small Apples & Looks Like Bug Attacked Them

Hey all, this is all new to me but I have a apple tree in my garden, never done much with it and could do with some help.
I have some pics of the fruit last year, I thought the apples were quite small compared to the other year and I got a lot of rotten fruit and apples which look like they have been attacked. (This was also the case the other year)
I purchased some codling my moth traps last year (it hangs in the tree) but when I looked at the trap they didn't seem to be many bugs. Any help what I can do? Something to spray on?
I have attached some pics of the fruit from last year and also a pic of how it is now.
Also what Apple tree is it please?
Attachments
IMAG3927.jpg
IMAG3925.jpg
IMAG3926.jpg

applestar
Mod

Where are you located? To me those marks look like scratch and bite marks, round holes could be claw punctures. So I'm thinking something fairly large. I saw similar but larger marks when groundHOG started climbing my tree and stealing the fruits... Smaller and much smaller nibble and faint scratch scars when squirrels and chipmunks were at them (they couldn't make the round punctures holes though)

I'm wondering f it could be rats if you have those in your area.

JONA
Greener Thumb

Hi bigjohn

As Star has said. Those are not Codling 'stings'. If you cut the apple in half there would be a maggot in the centre...or at least a great mess where one had once been.
So you've got to look for some other culprit.

By the way. With Codling and Tortrix Moth traps. They are designed to only catch the adult male moths of the chosen species. Anything else that gets stuck in the trap is purely coincidence.
Sorry I can't help with the identing...would need a much better view and also one Apple cut in half cross section, to show the core profile.
Try local
Horticultural club if you can.

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

Oh, now you have given me something to be grateful for, that I didn't plant any of my fruit trees next to buildings or other tall trees. Squirrels are such nasty pests and I am sure they love the easy access, off the structure next to your tree. I never even thought of protecting against them and gophers. Ugh!

bigjohn6348
Newly Registered

Thanks fro yuor response, I have not thought of other culprits. Ill keep my eye out this year.

A number of apples did have a great mess inside, never did see a moth actually inside the apples tho. Can someone suggest something I can spray on the apples to prevent these moths.

I live in Hull - yorkshire and the tree is roughly 40 years old. When I have fruit ill post some more pics with the hope of determine what apples these are.

if I wanted to feed the tree can it just be a normal feed or does it have to be specific apple feed.

JONA
Greener Thumb

Hi bigjohn.
Sorry...I didn't notice before that you are in the UK.
Now,
These Codling. The adult moth lays her eggs on the apple during warm spells in the summer months. Ten days after laying, they
Hatch and eat their way into the apple were they continue to grow as a maggot. This gives a window of just a few days were sprays can actually do their job.
So we use the moth trap to give us a clue as to when the moths are mating. The little rubber plug in the centre of the trap gives off the scent of a female. The males home in and get stuck on the traps sticky floor. Once you have caught more than five , two weeks running....you spray.
I have a suggestion on your fruit variety now I know it's UK. It appears to have a waxy shine to it......look up Lord Lambourne on the nett.

Best wishes john.

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

birds will also peck at fruit if they can't find water, so a small fountain maybe helpful, the kind you buy at Lowes or home depot. There are many things that attack apple trees that is why commercial apples are sprayed mercilessly. There are only 2 organic solutions. Spray with diatonacous earth after every rain or bag the apples after thinning the tree when they are about 1/2" in diameter. This is a very time consuming job. You cut a small slit in the bottom of a paper lunch sack. slip over the apple. Staple with out hitting the stem. Fold the bottom over twice and staple as well. You have inspect the apple for damage before bagging and if you see any remove it. I do that and the vast majority of the apples are fine. Unfortunately I don't always staple the bag right or the damage was where I didn't see it when I bagged. I have a water source I have to remember to keep filled.

JONA
Greener Thumb

There is a further treatment that is recognised as an organic method of Codling control..also for any caterpillar pest control.
It is widely used by organic growers in Europe and North America.
This is by sprays of Granulosis Virus in a water mix formulation.
This virus occurs naturally all over these areas and recognised as a good form of biological control. The virus is ingested by the caterpillar ( worm), and is altered in its gut to an agent that causes the creature to cease feeding, and thus dying.
Because it is caterpillar specific it is harmless to any other creature, so birds or any animal that should eat the caterpillar or the fruit itself is not affected in any way by it.

Return to “Apple Topics”