cerealkiller11
Newly Registered

Discoloration & Cracking in Apple Tree Bark

So, my wife and I are new to this group. I've done some introductions already and now to get to the real (and sad) reason that I found this group. I am hoping that someone can tell me if there is anything to do to save 2 of my apple trees. Short run down is we bought our place 5 years ago with 5 trees on property. One of the trees developed some discoloration and cracking in the bark around the trunk, but it seemed to be slow moving and I was able to keep it in check for a while. Now it appears to have spread to the tree next to it. That tree (I am unsure as to the specific variety, perhaps red delicious?) is having a terrible time of it. The disease has spread much more quickly and has killed off a large branch and appears to be on it's way to girdling (I believe that is the correct term) the entire trunk. I fear I may loose it as I have not been able to find any way to stop or slow it down.

It will be sad to know, but I would rather cut it down if need be than try to save it and risk my other trees. Pictures are attached and any help would be greatly appreciated. The tree on the left has had the disease for some time and seems to be handling it fairly well, but the other tree is in rough shape. Of course it could also be losing leaves due to the season change, but the one large branch was entirely dead halfway through growing season.
Attachments
IMG_20141013_175527.jpg
IMG_20141013_175512.jpg
IMG_20141013_175812.jpg

JONA
Greener Thumb

Oh dear cerealkiller.
I'm afraid the news here is not good.
There are only two types of fungal attack that can cause such damage to a fruit tree.
The first is a fungus that attacks the tree through the union where it was grafted when first grown. This is Collar Rot. ( Phytophthora cactorum) The fungus attacks the union and gradually climbs the tree as it also circles the trunk. Once the trunk is girdled the tree will die. There is no successful cure...although copper sprays can give some check in the early stages. Early cutting the damage away and painting with copper fungicide can help...but usually the results are inevitable. The fungus can be diagnosed by cutting a piece off and smelling. Collar Rot gives off a strong smell like vinegar.
The other...and probably more likely...is a bad attack of Canker.( Nectria galligena)
This again is a fungus that infects the tree by spores that enter any wound on the tree. The fungus grows in the tree and destroys the bark and underlying
If the infection is on small branches or shoot ends then cutting the damage off and burning them gives some control..but sadly if the trunk is infected then the tree may always suffer outbreaks until it succumbs to the inevitable.
It is now known that the disease can spread through the tree through the phloem layer in the tree.( that's the layer beneath the bark that carries the sap and nutrients through the tree.
As a result the blasted cankers may form anywhere in the tree once a severe infection is established.
Small infections are containable....large infections mean the tree dies once the trunk has been encircled.
Sorry...no magic cure I'm afraid.

Return to “Apple Topics”