SunshineAcres

I Don't Have a Clue about Apple and Pear Trees!

I will get photos tomorrow but for now...
We live in Central Iowa. The pear and apple trees came with the farm we bought. Only a few of each. They look young, about 7 ft tall. Trunk diameter about the same as a baseball but two the same as a golf ball. I don't know what kind of variety of apples or pears either. I was told that I may have to spray them to make them bear fruit. I have only seen apples one year and they are small and bitter. We're on clay here. Any advice?

JONA878
Greener Thumb

It would be a great help SunshineAcres if you can get those photos. It will make it easier to see what they need as regards pruning etc.
If the apple is very bitter then the odds are that it is a cider variety...most of those are small and very sharp in taste.
As to the clay...once trees are established clay can be beneficial as it retaines nutrients and moisture far better than a lot of soils...just have to watch out for compaction and water logging in very wet periods.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Fruit trees are often sprayed with insecticide after blossom petal drop, after the bees stop working them. It is to keep the fruit from getting worms in it. Never spray anything when in flower. Don't spray fruit trees if there is dandelions in bloom under them. Kills the bees.

Fruit trees need a pollinator. Lots of bees in the area helps. If they don't get pollinated, they won't develop a fruit.

If it freezes at bloom time or shortly after, it often causes the blossoms or small fruit to drop. A frost at the wrong time is the biggest reason I sometimes do not get fruit.

Small fruit trees need some pruning the first few years to shape the tree and eliminate crossed branches. You can likely find some good pruning info at your extension service.

SunshineAcres

Sorry it has taken me so long to post the photos. Here are the apple and pear trees.

PaulF
Greener Thumb

You don't have to spray for them to bear fruit, but a good spray program will allow, as mentioned already, the fruit to be insect and worm free. Contact your Iowa State Extension Office for very good (and free) advise on a spray program. If the apples you had before were small and bitter, it may be you have crabapples. No spray will make them big and sweet. Looks like you lots of space to plant more fruit trees. There are lots of fruit orchards in Central Iowa so you know fruit trees will do well there. Good luck.

A Happy Seedling
Green Thumb

They're crabapples. I have had the same problem before. Someone likely planted them from seed, as apples from seed have a small chance of becoming crabapples.

JONA
Greener Thumb

Hi Sunshine.
I don't think that many of your trees are crabs.....most Apple vars are from seedling sources originally. It takes very careful skill to actually grow a new var by hand pollination without the risk of wind or insect contamination. Growing an apple from a pip results in a completely new variety, as only one parent ( the one which the pip came from') is known. The other parent could be any other member of the Malus species.
I would suggest that from your pictures no's 1,4 and 7 do need some attention as they are getting too thick.
Give them all a chance and then take some fruit samples to a local fruit farm for indenting...most growers are happy to help.
Good luck

Return to “Apple Topics”