DryFlyRy

Mac Apple Tree, no leaves?

Hi, I got a couple of dwarf McIntosh apple trees maybe a month ago at home depot, followed the instructions when planting them and have yet to see anything growing from the little bud sites. It is May 17th and I am in Massachusetts zone 5. Everything else in nature seems to have green on it except thee trees. I did scratch the bark with my finger nail and it is green/yellow underneath. Is this normal?

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

It might leaf out it might not. How many are there and are they all doing this? It could be dying or it could just be taking a while. You will know if it dies if you scratch under the bark and it is brown. I would leave them in unless they die.

DryFlyRy

I bought 2 of them, both are the exact same condition, but whenever I drive by the nursery it seems like all their trees have leaves.

applestar
Mod

If yours are planted but theirs are B&B or in containers, theirs may leaf out earlier because the roots are warmer.

Yours in the ground depth, the roots are colder, plus they are trying to establish, so leafing may be delayed.

It could also be that the nursery is in a microclimate warmer than your garden -- higher ground, sheltered from cold winds, thermal masses, etc.

Return to “Apple Topics”