mystang89

Rust on apple tree leaves

I just planted apple trees this year and was told they were about 3 - 4 years old. One is a Pink Lady and the other is a Fuji. Both are regular size.

As the title says the leaves look to have started to develop rust on them. They have budded already and the flowers have fallen off already. What can I do to kill the rust? I looked online and red that a treatment needs to be put on them before they bud but I wasn't able to do that. I did purchase some neem oil. Will this work to kill the rust and if so when should I apply it and how often afterwards? Thanks.

shadylane
Green Thumb

Rust has an appearance of brown and yellow, rusty red patches on the leaves, or fruit and sometimes on the flowers.
One can just pluck the rust leaves if you feel the trees have rust, and toss them in a garbage bag and throw it away.
Since you have just planted these trees I would have to think that they are giving signals of being dry.
Before placing your tree in it's prepared location one needs to water it well until you see the water standing. Also at times the roots will need to be trimed a little.
Place the tree in the area and water again and again while covering with earth. Then once again to make sure all air has been removed from the roots.
Just keep it well watered if you think this is the cause.

JONA878
Greener Thumb

There are three rusts that effect apples. Juniper,Hawthorn and Cedar are the culprits.
Destroy infected leaves and the usual control chemicals are either Bayeton...Carbamate or Rubigan. Like most fungal problems the chemical sprays control spores as they infect the surface...they will not kill existing growing infections.
So it's a case of putting a layer of protection down on leaf that is not yet infected......the same policy as for Scab and Mildew.

mystang89

Thanks. I don't think the tree is dry as it hasn't stopped raining for the past week. As for the chemicals I was trying to be as organic as possible with this. Is there any organic remedy after plucking the leaves and destroying them? If not then I guess I'll have to go chemical but just want to make sure first.

JONA878
Greener Thumb

The only organic that I know of that will give some form of control is any of the sulphurs. Either dust or in an emulsion form.
It may cause some mild skin russeting on some vars of apple.
Make sure though if you use an emulsion formula that it is not a winter wash type as this would scorch all the leaf off.

mystang89

Thanks Jona. I also heard that Immunox works as well. I guess I will have to call around to the local nurseries and see if they have any of what you mentioned and Immunox. I tried pulling as many leaves that I saw with it on as possible, (broke my heart to do :( ). When should I apply the chemicals? Best to do it at dusk or dawn?

JONA878
Greener Thumb

Either times mystang. Sprays always work best if they can dry slowly.
Try never to spray anything dureing blossom time as it can interfere with the viability of the blossom.

mystang89

Thanks very much Jona for all the info you provide. You've helped me out lots not only on this thread but others as well. Thank you for taking the time.

Return to “Apple Topics”