dpellerin
Newly Registered

Need advice in pollinating my new apple trees

I'm new to growing fruit trees but have always wanted to. This year I planted 7 fruit trees, 2 plum, 1 cherry, a peach and 3 apple trees. My problem is the nursery that sold me the fruit trees wasn't very helpful in passing important information along like the need to have apple trees that will pollinate each other. I planted a red delicious, a jonagold and a granny smith. The granny smith is self fertizing but I'm not sure if it will help in pllinating the other 2 or if the red delicious and the jonagold will pollinate each other. I live in south west BC near the washington border and I know the climate is good for growing apple trees but I want to know if these will work with each other and if not what can I do to make sure they will all pollinate. Can any of you please help me?

JONA878
Greener Thumb

Hi dpellerin.

Your Granny Smith and Red Delicious will polinate each other and they will also polinate the Jonagold.
Both of these two are good polinaters.
The Jonagold is a Triploid tree and as such is unable to polinate another as it has an uneven number of chromosons ( 51 ) instead of the diploids ( 34 ). So it cannot share its genetic material evenly.
That's why any triploid tree needs a diploid with it....plus a further tree to polinate the diploid.

Confusing aint it.

Return to “Apple Topics”