mystang89

Planting apple tree where old tree was

Well, I think this spring is when I'm going to plant my apple trees. I do have a question though.

The apple trees will be going right where to old tree are currently planted. I'd say they are easily 20 years old maybe more. So there root system is nice and established. I was going to cut them down and either grind or pull the root out (probably chain and truck style.)

Can I still plant the trees right where the old ones were or will the remnants of the old roots hurt the new trees since those roots will start to decay. I was thinking root rot or something like that but I don't know how this works. I called an orchard place around here and they said they just dug up what trees that didn't make it and planted others right on top of them but that they weren't established or anything.

JONA878
Greener Thumb

Hi Mystang

It is wisest to plant away from the old site if at all possable.
There is a re-plant problem that can occur when apples are planted in the same position as an old planting.
This however is not a tree killer but more a restriction on the growth rate of the tree.
So what growers do is try to plant on the sites between old plantings ...thus shifting rows of trees slightly to one side of old positions..or...use a rootstock that is slightly stronger than you would normaly be planting if the site was maiden soil.

mystang89

Thanks a ton Jona! I don't have much room in my front yard and decided on going with regular apple trees so I will have to do some measurements to see how far off I can plant them.

Return to “Apple Topics”