JackyGreene
Newly Registered

When best to transplant apple trees?

I have three young (2-3 YO) semi-dwarf apples trees I would like to transplant. My father planted and recently passed away and my mom is not interested in taking care of them. I would like to move them. When is best to transplant them? They are staying in the same climate, only moving a couple miles. Planted and will stay in southern WI. He has several older trees too (6+ years old). Can these be moved with success?

JONA878
Greener Thumb

Hi JG.

You can move any size fruit tree...it just depends on how much of the root system you are able to remove with the tree.

2-3 year olds should prove no problem.
Only move when the trees are fully dormant.
Try to remove as big a root ball as possable.
Have a place already dug and prepared so that the tree can be re-planted straight away, and stake the tree firmly to stop root rock.
Prune the the tree heavily so that the roots have an easier time once the tree starts to break leaf.
Water well in the early days until the roots have settled.....remember that although the top of the tree is in a dormant stage ..the roots are not.

The larger/older trees may be a little more difficult as they will need larger root balls to be successfully moved.

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

Where you are I would now wait until very late winter, early spring before they come out of dormancy as soon as the ground is not longer frozen.
The reason I would not choose to move them now is the roots will not reestablish well enough before the ground freezes.
Make sure you don't fertilze them the first year you bring them over and keep them well watered in that first year. If you follow the above advice and get the time of year right you should be able to move them successfully.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

I would move them when they are fully dormant in early spring.

JackyGreene
Newly Registered

Thank you! Appreciate the advice. Very early Spring will work just fine.

Return to “Apple Topics”