Papag
Newly Registered

Apple /Pear tree Blossom but Don't Fruit

Hi I have two apple and one pear tree in my garden get lots of blossom but never any fruit this year will be the third year ,question is am I being too anxious or should as someone said prune them? If so when and how ?also another quick question I have this year grown in pots from bulbs Dahlias had a great crop from these will they come again next year or do I have to put in more new bulbs.
Thanks for any replies from a very novice gardener

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I can't answer about the fruit trees, hopefully JONA or one of our other knowledgeable fruit people will come along.

But about the dahlias, what you need to do is once they are completely dormant (after the first hard frost or in November), cut the plant down, leaving a few inches of stalk. Then gently dig the tuber up. Wash the dirt off and let it air dry for a day or so, indoors. Then store them in a cardboard box (not plastic!), filled with slightly dampened sand, sawdust, peat moss. Fill the box half way, put in the tubers and then fill it the rest of the way. Store in a cool dry area and then don't let them dry out totally. If they are shrivelling up, it it too warm and/or dry. Then you can replant them in the spring.

If you are not on a budget and this is too much work for you, then you can pitch them and start over next year. It's part of why I don't grow dahlias! :)

applestar
Mod

Apples and most pears need to be cross pollinated. Your two apple varieties may not be compatible -- it's possible you'll need one other apple or crabapple tree that hopefully will be able to pollinate both existing trees. What varieties do you have?

There are a few pears that are self fertile, but most need a 2nd pollinator as well. Be sure to get one that is able to pollinate the one you have. If you have an Asian pear, they can also be pollinated by ornamental Callery pears.

One other possibility is that the flowers were blasted by unseasonable frost or freeze.

JONA878
Greener Thumb

Hi Papag,

I've been checking the April / May temps for Leeds this year and you never had any late frosts to damage Blossom so I guess we can rule that out.
So it looks like Applestars suggestion on pollination is more than likely the culprit.
Very strong growth can cause poor set but to have nothing at all would suggest that the fruit was not fertilised.

Papag
Newly Registered

So looks like I need more bees then any idea how to attract them?

Thanks for the Dhalia tips think I will buy some more bulbs :)

JONA878
Greener Thumb

Don't think it's the bees that are at fault Papag.
What you need is a different variety of apple tree near to your present ones.
Do you know what varieties yours are?
A problem I guess though if you have never had fruit off them.
If you don't want another apple tree then try planting one of the Malus trees.
They will give you very lovely blossom in the spring time and if you get something like a John Downey you have the added benifit of crab apples for jelly/ jam making.

Return to “Apple Topics”