a0c8c
Greener Thumb

Apple Tree Dropped All its Leaves at End of Winter

My little Apple Tree sapling looks sad, quite sad. It's about a year old and has been doing great up until recently. It only had a few leaves on top and a few leaves growing down on the base. It all of a sudden dropped all it's leaves after they slowly changed from green to red. That sounds like it's going into dormancy, but we're leaving winter, not entering winter so I'm confused. I don't have a picture, but it'll just look like a stick anyways. It's a Red Delicious seed that sprouted in my fridge so I put into a pot and let it grow. Now I'm not sure if it's gonna make it.

applestar
Mod

Did you have it outside? When I grew mine, they spent the seedling winter indoors but were allowed to go dormant and was left to weather the frigid winter outside with their pots buried in leaves.

The way Bonsai folks talk about them, it sounds like trees that need winter dormancy period have to get that rest period or they won't live.

In any case, maybe your little treelet is getting ready to grow new buds for spring. There is a species of oak around here that hangs onto crisp brown leaves all winter, then drops them all in spring just before leafing out. My dad has one in his front yard that came with the house, and he HATES it. He complains that he wants to get all his leaf raking done and over with in the fall when it's the proper time to do that kind of work, not in spring. :wink:

JONA878
Greener Thumb

As Star says..all apples have to have a dormancy period. If it's been growing for a year then it is about ready to have a rest.

A couple of things to keep an eye on though.

The characteristic of leaves at the base and at the growing tip with a gap in the middle can be an early sign of Magnesium deficiancy. Unusual in a plant so young...but just to be on the safe side it would do no harm when it breaks into leaf again to give it the odd spray of Epsom salts. ( Mag. Sulphate.).
Also. I guess that you have had your tree either indoors or in some place of protection and that is why it has only just dropped its leaves.
That's why in the warmer parts of the world , if folk want to grow apples they have to plant them up in the mountain areas.
You must let it have its dormant period ...but give it a little protection if the weather is very severe.

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

The tree was left outside all winter which is why a late dormancy was confusing me. The leaves never got brown and crunch, but turned from green to red. Should I bring it inside and let rest until it warms up a little? We're already back in the 60's during the day.

JONA878
Greener Thumb

I would be inclined to leave it outside and see if it got back to normal growth.
It has got to settle and adjust at some point....may as well be now.

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

Well, it appears to have some new buds forming so I'm hoping it'll be fine. As far as fertilizing it, how soon should I do it. We're in the 70's already but it doesn't have any growth. Should I wait a little bit and let it shoot out some leaves before fertilizing it? I don't want to shock it.

applestar
Mod

Are you keeping it in a container? If it hasn't leafed out yet, maybe this is the time to up pot it into a good sized container for the next year. It will grow a lot this season.

Return to “Apple Topics”