sammus

I think applestar is right in saying that you want the soil to be moist to touch. A propagating tray / system would be worth purchasing and their very cheap! I sent a link to one in my previous post so you know what they look like, but you can make one very cheaply from home.

I think basically, once your seeds have began to germinate, you want to get them planted in nice moist soil. If it gets too dry then the roots dry out and the seed dies. Keep it moist, but not wet!!

You want it planted just under the surface, and it should quickly push its way up.

I found the first apple seed I tried to grow didn't work out, and I'm on my second attempt now and they seem to be doing well! Once they've taken hold and started to develop leaves you just have to make sure they get enough light and water, then you can't really kill them unless they get a fungus :/ But that shouldn't be an issue for you I wouldn't have thought.

One note, if they're still in your wardrobe, try to keep good ventilation.

Sam

appleman

Hey guys!

Despite not having posted, a lot has been going on with my apple plants!! A couple of them are growing like monsters, and another one that I had thought was dead actually sprouted!

I won't be able to post any pictures for at least a few days or so :x but the ones that are growing are now several inches tall! The one farthest from the light is really tall, maybe about 6 inches. Maybe it's taller because it hasn't received as much light as the other ones?

I know this will be tough to answer until I post some pics, but when should I transplant the plants to bigger containers? I feel like it should be sometime very soon, but I'm not sure. Also, I've never done anything like that before so any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for not posting regular pics!! I know I created this topic mainly to get help, but I'll try to post more pics more regularly now so that in the future this can be a good reference for others!

sammus

Hey Appleman,

Yeah try to post a picture - it'd be good to see how they are getting on! And great news to hear that their growing now!

In terms of the one that is the tallest, it sounds like it might be becoming abit leggy as its growing for the light - if I remember rightly their being grown in your cupboard?! It might be worth transferring them to a windowsill if you can so that they get a lot more light throughout the day?! (I did this with mine until they were about 8inches tall perhaps?!

In terms of transplanting them into bigger pots, I just kept an eye on the pots for when the roots began to poke through as I was using those peat pots that break down (a pot that turned out to be a big mistake!). I think generally you want to transfer them into bigger pots as little as possible so they don't get disturbed as much. It also depends how big you want them to grow - if their in a small pot then it will stunt their growth. I tried this with one seedling and when I planted it into a bigger pot it absolutely rocketed up! Became the tallest one of my set before long!

Also depends if you're going to have them outside or not?! If your in England, might be worth waiting a few more weeks before putting them outside for good, especially with them being young plants! I've just put mine back out to the front now and taken the wrap off the pots their in, and their buds are beginning to open up slowly in the sun :D I'll put a picture up in a weeks time when they don't look like a twig so you can see how their developing and see the size of the pots etc.

Return to “Apple Topics”