BradS122982
Newly Registered

Overgrown Apple Trees - Pruning

I have 2 unidentified apple trees in my back yard that are WAY overgrown. I have lived in the house for a couple of years and am ready to get to pruning this fall. I know about removing all of the vertical limbs, but how much can I prune this big guys down without harming them?

The produce about 25 gallons worth of apples a week, but because they are so big I have never really tried to keep the bugs away or harvest them. :oops:

JONA878
Greener Thumb

BradS122982 wrote:I have 2 unidentified apple trees in my back yard that are WAY overgrown. I have lived in the house for a couple of years and am ready to get to pruning this fall. I know about removing all of the vertical limbs, but how much can I prune this big guys down without harming them?

The produce about 25 gallons worth of apples a week, but because they are so big I have never really tried to keep the bugs away or harvest them. :oops:
Hi BradS,
Old overgrown apples are best delt with in stages over a couple of years.
You can remove ..as you say...all the upright branches as they need removel first.
Concentrate on big stuff first and ignore smaller branches until another year.
It's better to make three or four heavy cuts than dozens of little ones.
Try to get good light into the centre of the tree and flatten the top of the tree out so that a more umberella shape is formed.

It's not a bad idea after you have made a big saw cut to trim the edges of the cut back with a sharp knife so the there is a clean edge to the wound. If there is a lot of damaged or scabby wood on the tree then painting the wound with a fungicide paint will help stop canker infections.

Good luck.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

A general rule--and one I observed when cutting back overgrown, mature fig trees--is not to remove more than one-third of the plant mass in one season. If more than one-third needs to be removed, plan your cuts so that they'll take place over two seasons (by which I mean two consecutive falls or two consecutive springs; *not* a fall and the next spring).

Consult with your local county ag. extension service as to the recommended timing for apple trees in your area. Sounds like you have good production! :D

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Return to “Apple Topics”