Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Do Apple Trees Get Blight?

Do apple trees get blight like tomatoes and potatoes?

My apples are all rotting on the tree. Apples get brown spots then the whole apple turns brown and falls off. Apples have never done this before.

Blight killed my potatoes and some of my tomatoes. Everyone I know around here has lost their potatoes and tomatoes to blight.

We were having lots of rain but now we are getting no rain at all. Grass crunches like potatoe chips when I walk on it. The apple tree was loaded with apples yesterday I picked up 4 bushel of apples on the ground. Apples do not compost fast they stay in the compost for months like brown rubber balls.

JONA878
Greener Thumb

Hi Gary.
Apples do not get Blight but they do get two diseases that produce the effects you are finding.
Both are made all the more active by warm wet weather.
The first is Brown Rot.
This affects apples just before harvest and continues to rot the fruit once picked and in store.
The apples gradually go completely rotten and will infect any fruit stored in contact with them. They can stay in shape...but will often turn to a fungal mush as other pathogens take over.
The other is scab.
This is causes brown cracking scabs on the fruit that will allow other rot problems to enter the fruit.

The spores of both of these diseases are released in warm wet weather and they grow on the unprotected fruit ...penetrating the fruits skin and can cause premature fruit drop as the tree tries to get rid of damaged fruit.

Blight as such is often the term used to covour a whole range of fungal problems that infect a lot of plants. The culprits all making the most of the right weather conditions to shed spores onto the waiting crops.

Return to “Apple Topics”