Bammbulance
Newly Registered

Grafting Apple Trees - List of Compatible Apple Varieties?

Hello,

I'm also having problems finding a good catalogue of information on apple trees. What I am interested in is a UK list for the pro's and con's of each type of apple, strong root system, dwarve, ect...

That way I can plan what to grow

My intentions are with a few different species of apple, to make a few apple-apple-apple trees (1 tree, which bears many types of apple).

I have learnt how to do it in the past (4-5 years ago) but have been very out of touch with my arboriculture since then so forgotten alot, ill try and get out to find some books, but cant hurt to ask if theres anything online I'm missing!

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

I have not seen a complete list online but that does not mean there isn't. Most of the lists I have seen tend to be geographically limited. They are list of varieties that can only be grown close to the person or organization that created the web page. A university located in one region would not necessarily include apples grown in regions/countries whose apples cannot be grown and tested. But below are some links to web pages that might either provide ideas or be interesting to read when you have some time available:

https://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/horticulture/DG0532.html

https://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/horticulture/components/DG0532c.html

https://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/hil-8301.html

https://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/hillcountry/Apples/varieties.html

https://hort.cals.cornell.edu/cals/hort/about/upload/apple_varieties2.pdf

https://www.extension.umn.edu/projects/yardandgarden/ygbriefs/p244apple-diseaseresistant.html

By the way, I have been looking for a similar list of avocados! Hee hee hee!

JONA878
Greener Thumb

Bammbulance wrote:Hello,

I'm also having problems finding a good catalogue of information on apple trees. What I am interested in is a UK list for the pro's and con's of each type of apple, strong root system, dwarve, ect...

That way I can plan what to grow

My intentions are with a few different species of apple, to make a few apple-apple-apple trees (1 tree, which bears many types of apple).

I have learnt how to do it in the past (4-5 years ago) but have been very out of touch with my arboriculture since then so forgotten alot, ill try and get out to find some books, but cant hurt to ask if theres anything online I'm missing!
Try the Brogdale site in Kent.
Also for varieties try Blackmore Nurseries at Liss in Hampshire. they carry quite a few varieties including a lot of the old ones.
For reading material on English apples try Rosaline Saunders ' The English Apple' and for a full run-down ...'The Book of Apples' by Dr Joan Morgan. This lists over 2000 varieties.

Multi variety apple trees are becoming quite popular in small gardens and are fun top do. they are called ' family trees'.
I know of one grower who has a huge old bramley tree that is carrying over 100 other apple grafts. Wonderful site in the blossom period.
Remeber too that it's important to marry up varieties that grow at very similar rates. Graft say Cox, Spartan and Bramley onto the same mother tree and within three years you will as likely have just a Bramley left because of its dominant growth.
Hope that helps.

applestar
Mod

Oooh! Something else to add to my NEW PROJECT! list. :wink:
... though this one will have to be placed AFTER "Learn to Graft" 8)

luis_pr, thanks for more reading material. :D
JONA, that family tree of 100+ sounds amazing! :shock:

Bammbulance
Newly Registered

Firstly, thankyou both for the information! I will be reading over it soon, I learnt to graft at uni but that was a few years back, but I'm planning on teaching a few friends while I brush up on my skills again.

The tree with 100 sounds fantastic, I was thinking 10 would be a good aim (More as an experiment) but I'm sure if you choose a nice big rootstock every branch could be a different apple!

I'm currently planning on having 4to5 apples per tree, if I train the stock to have 4 branches (Each at a 45 degree angle to form an X shape, each apple would have a quater of the trees spread to grow how it likes! And maybe an apple on top/middle of the X
But thats my perfectionist side coming out!

I have also read that Plum and Cherrys can be spliced together (Tree that produces cherrys And plums) as they belong in the same family, this one really will be an experiment for me, as I'm not so sure, but could be interesting!

JONA878
Greener Thumb

Bammbulance wrote:Firstly, thankyou both for the information! I will be reading over it soon, I learnt to graft at uni but that was a few years back, but I'm planning on teaching a few friends while I brush up on my skills again.

The tree with 100 sounds fantastic, I was thinking 10 would be a good aim (More as an experiment) but I'm sure if you choose a nice big rootstock every branch could be a different apple!

I'm currently planning on having 4to5 apples per tree, if I train the stock to have 4 branches (Each at a 45 degree angle to form an X shape, each apple would have a quater of the trees spread to grow how it likes! And maybe an apple on top/middle of the X
But thats my perfectionist side coming out!

I have also read that Plum and Cherries can be spliced together (Tree that produces cherrys And plums) as they belong in the same family, this one really will be an experiment for me, as I'm not so sure, but could be interesting!
That's part of the fun....go for it.
I've never tried the cherry/plum grafting.
I would have thought though that with the tendancy for them both to
' bleed' quite readily it would pay to use a tree that is still pretty young so the the scion and graft union are as near the same size as possable.
Got me tempted to have a go now.!!!

Have done a few trees this spring to change some Cox's over to cookers, but with apple the job is so much easier.
It certainly saves a lot of time and replanting costs if you can change a full grown tree over to a new variety.

Good luck.

Return to “Apple Topics”