Charger
Newly Registered

Growing apple tree's from seed. Succesful Disaster!

After succesfully germinating several apple seed's, I planted them with great anticapation of having my own little orchard.
After 3 or 4 days most poked thier way out of the soil and grew about 4 to 5 cm high and developed several leaves, Things were looking Good.
However after about a week or two the stem on the plants turns light brown and dies. It seem's to always die about the same level as the dirt
and extends all the way down the root.
Does anyone have any idea's how to stop this cruelty.

JONA878
Greener Thumb

Hi Charger.
The most likely cause of root rot in apple seedlings is a pathogen called Phytophora Cactorium.
This is the same beastie that causes Coller Rot and Canker in trees.
Its soil born so if you want to give the young plants real protection you need either to have sterile soil or try adding a good quality fungacide to the planting medium.
Young apple seedlings are very prone.

Apples are usually grafted onto rootstocks for several reasons.
1. Size of the tree will be known.
2. Root deseases like Phytophthora can be held at bay.
3. The tree will grow true to variety.

Remember that unless you have hand pollinated the seed and taken great care that no other pollination could have taken place then the apple you have grown is for you to name.
Only one parent will be known so it will be a new variety. You only know who Mum is....you've probably just eaten her..... not who was the Dad!

Jona

Charger
Newly Registered

Thanks jona for the info. I'm going to try garden sulphur and see if it will help hopefully its not to late for the seedlings

Return to “Apple Topics”