applestar
Mod

Wooly Aphids and Tiny Snails on my little apple trees!

I was out giving my espaliered apples and pears their fall styling cut, prelim to late winter growth cut (I.e. leave a few inches extra from the ideal to allow for possible winterkill), and discovered WOOLY APHIDS on the apples. :eek: They looked like white mold, mostly on old pruning sites, but when I rubbed at them, they squished and my fingers came away bloody red. UGH! :x

First time ever seeing these buggers. I guess dormant oil spray later on is in order, or would lime-sulfur be better?

Another surprise on the apples AND pears was tiny black snails ALL OVER the trees as well as the PVC fence. :shock: They were no more than 1/16" in diameter and looked more like stuck on grit. Can't be good for the fruit trees. Before I realized what they were I rubbed/knocked off a whole bunch of them :? Once I realized, I tried to gather them, but they easily fell off the trees, so I ended up mashing a lot of them with my thumb, but I need a better way (there are TOO MANY)....

Maybe I'll use an old towel or maybe a microfiber cloth soaked in soapy water -- they *should* tangle into the loopy thread, I hope. But that may disrupt the micro-flora/fauna at this critical time before severe weather sets in? Hmm, we're having a heavy frost/freeze tonight (it's 29ºF outside right now, and, in fact, I just came back inside after going out in the dark with a flashlight to pick the last of my Enterprise apples :roll: :D ). Do you suppose they (the baby snails) might freeze to death? Ah ha. I think I'll scatter some of those used coffee grounds in the leaf mulch under the fruit trees tomorrow.

JONA878
Greener Thumb

First the Wooly Applestar.
On a small tree it would be better if you controlled it simply by painting it with Meths. Simple and very effective.
Spraying wooly is not that effective anyway. The wooly covouring acts as a barrier to sprays and only very strong ones work
The problem with oil sprays and lime sulphur is that they kill the eggs of the ' goodies ' as well as the pests.
As too the snails.
Have never heard of snails being a problem before.
Are you sure they are snails and not scale insects. The meths should deal with then too anyway.

Jona

applestar
Mod

OK. In that case, I'm guessing spot-treating with Rubbing Alcohol (Isopropyl vs. Methyl) will work too? I'll get on that today. Thanks! :D

... oh, and yeah, they ARE snails. Visual check confirms. I don't KNOW that they're damaging the trees, especially when they're so small, but surely, if they manage to overwinter, they'll be rasping at the tender buds in spring. Maybe the birds will peck them off the branches before then, if they're still there, but more likely, they'll burrow in the nice mulch I just laid down under the trees. :roll:

Snails and slugs.... :evil:

Return to “Apple Topics”