RSB
Newly Registered

Dwarf Apple trees

Hello,
I am new to this forum and I am looking for anyone who can give me advice about the proper type of dwarf apple tree so I can keep them very small in height and get regular sized fruit.
I planted what was suppose to be dwarf trees at my previous house but it turned out that the person was wrong about the growing height of the tree and it grew to large.
Thanks in advance ,
RSB :)
p.s. I want to grow apples for baking.

JONA878
Greener Thumb

Hi RSB.

I believe that the rootstocks that are available to you over that side of the pond are relatively the same as here.
If so then the following would do the trick.

From most dwarfing upwards......

type. M27
M9
M26
MM106
MM 111
M 25.

The last two would produce very large trees.....the sort you would grow to sit under.!!
The first two would require staking as the root system on them is quite weak.

As to varieties.....any could be grafted to these stocks. But it would pay to check on the varieties vigour if you wanted to use 106 or 111 if you are on good soils as strong growers could get larger than you really need.

Jona.

JONA878
Greener Thumb

Sorry.....forgot about the baking....

I'm afraid that I can't help from over here on this one.
Here in the UK we have apples that are specialy bred for culinary use only.
Bramley, Lord Derby, Newton Wonder, Grenadier, to name just a few.
I think that over your side of the pond most varieties are at best duel purpose and will not contain the acidity that these cookers have.
I would be interested if anyone can correct me on this and suggest a true culinary variety that is available to you.

Jona.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Please see https://treesofantiquity.com for info about apple (and other!) trees: size, chill hours, best use of fruit (eating out of hand, baking, etc.), storage quality of fruit, climate requirements, etc.

They were recommended to me by the arborist who checked our redwood and pruned our juniper tolurosa (sp?) December 2007.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

RSB
Newly Registered

Jona 878,
Where are you located in the world? I am in the U. S. of America.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Jona878 is in Sussex. Sussex is in England, UK.

Cynthia H.

JONA878
Greener Thumb

Hi RSB.
Cynthias right. I live in the south of England in a small village out in the sticks.
Really enjoying this board. Although the crops and the varieties may vary from some of ours over here it's amazing how similar a lot of the problems are as well.
I guess if you are a gardener you never stop learning and trying to get the best out of your ' patch '.

Jona.

Return to “Apple Topics”